Method Community

Add check box to Customers/Contacts screen

Last post 05-12-2015 11:30 AM by Method_Audisho. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-11-2015 1:48 PM

Add check box to Customers/Contacts screen

I would like to add a check box to the Contacts screen under Customers. The title of the check box is: Primary Contact.

I added the field to the database but can not figure out how to add the check box to the screen. How do I do that?

Thanks!

• 05-11-2015 2:30 PM In reply to

Re: Add check box to Customers/Contacts screen

Answer

Hi dorothyp,

For a field to be added to a screen as a checkbox, the field must be a Yes/No field. Once you have added the Yes/No field to the table, you can locate it by name in the screen designer on the left hand side and drag it onto the screen.

If you do not see the field after adding it to the table, perhaps you added the field to the wrong table. All screens have a base table and only fields from this base table will appear in the list of fields when customizing said screen. For example, if you are customizing a copy of the CRM_EditCustomer screen, you will only be able to select fields from the Customer table (not the Contacts table).

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, it might be worth noting that that Contacts table already contains an indicator of the QuickBooks main and alt contacts in the field SpecialType. If the contact is the main contact, this field will have a value of “Contact”. If the contact is the alt contact, this field will have a value of “AltContact”. This information is readily displayed on the Customer and Contacts List Screen under the field heading Rep / Type / Title.

If you’re fairly new to Method customization, it may be worth your time to watch our customization webinars. They are a little bit dated, but the information that they provide is still valid and they do a decent job of introducing some common customization concepts.

I hope this helps and please don’t hesitate to post back if you have any follow up questions.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    Method:CRM
    a.sada@method.me
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Local & Overseas: 416.847.0400
    Fax: 416.640.6027
  • 05-11-2015 3:39 PM In reply to

I am not getting the screen designer to be able to drag/drop the field onto the screen. Is that a permission setting that I need to update?

• 05-11-2015 4:14 PM In reply to

Hi dorothyp,

If you are able to access the screen designer for a screen, you have the required permission for adding a field to it. All you have to do is locate the field in the left hand section labelled Insert Field and Objects. Then click and drag the object onto the section of the screen that you would like it to be displayed.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-11-2015 5:31 PM In reply to

I am not getting the Insert Fields and Objects for the table that I am accessing. It is the CRM_CONTACTS table. I created a table for something else and I do get the Insert Fields and Objects. Is the reason I am not getting the dialog box because CRM_CONTACTS is a system table and I did not create it?

• 05-12-2015 8:17 AM In reply to

Hi dorothyp,

I have a couple of questions.

1) What table did you add your custom field to? CRM_Contacts is a screen, not a table.

2) What screen are you trying to add the field to?

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-12-2015 9:09 AM In reply to

Hi,

I added it to Contacts Table. 

This is the screen I am wanting to add the field to. It is on the Customers tab and then under Contacts. What screen should I be adding it to? 

• 05-12-2015 9:23 AM In reply to

Hi dorothyp,

What is the full name of the screen that you copied for customizing? You should be able to locate this either under Customize > Screens or if you right clicked the screen and selected Customize, the full name will be displayed in the popup.

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
  • 05-12-2015 11:12 AM In reply to

Hi. 

Do I need to copy the screen to another name and then edit it? When I did the right click on the screen, it said the screen name was "CRM_EDITCUSTOMER".

If I copy it, how do I get the system to access that screen once I make the change?

Thanks!

• 05-12-2015 11:30 AM In reply to

Hi dorothyp,

The CRM_EditCustomer screen is based off the Customer table, not the Contacts table. You do not see your custom field because you did not add it to the Customer table.

Your list of contacts for a particular customer will be displayed under the Contacts tab within this screen and the main QuickBooks contact will have the value “Contact” under the Type header.

Why are you trying to add a custom Primary Contact field to this screen?

-Audisho

Audisho Sada
    Product Manager
    a.sada@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)