Method Community

Actions

Last post 11-04-2008 11:49 AM by Method_Valbon. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-03-2008 7:52 PM

• Matt
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-04-2008
    • Posts 877

Actions

I was just reviewing the demo from the Blog on actions. Specifically the part about sending an email when a new contact is entered. I have a few different scenarios I was curious about and unsure how to add.

1. Suppose I want the subject line of the email to be "You have a message from" and then the customer name field. How can I combine a 'typein' and a 'from screen'

2. is there a way to use if/then? For example upon hitting save I want it to send an email IF the contact is not marked as done.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Raiser

Founder,

www.techinthefield.com

matt@techinthefield.com

219-221-9500

~ Method user / partner since 2008

~ Over 15 years field service experience

~ 2013 Method Partner of the Year

~ Degree in Computer Science

Creator of:

• 11-04-2008 11:49 AM In reply to

Re: Actions

Matt,

The easiest way to get this done is by using the Character Function action.  This allows you to join the subject line (Type In) with the name field (Value From Screen) in a variety of different styles i.e. join with space or join with comma and assign the newly joined value to an Action Result. Then, by using the Send Email action, simply make the Subject Line equal to the action result. Adding the actions to the existing Save button will send this email each time you enter a new contact. Always take note of the order you add your actions, in this case be sure to add the Character Function before the Send Email action.

Also, if you haven’t done so already, you might want to take a look at the Activities within the Sales Center. From here you can use an existing email template or even create your own. It’s a great tool to keep track of emails sent to contacts.

As per the second part, the answer is yes. In Method, If/Then is achieved by the Start Conditional Statement action. This must be used in conjunction with the “End Conditional Statement”. If the “Start Conditional Statement” is true, all subsequent actions will be processed until the “End Conditional Statement” action is reached.

Hope that helps,
    Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)