Method Community

Email Attachments Not Working

Last post 09-06-2015 3:59 PM by Blake C. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-02-2015 10:47 AM

Email Attachments Not Working

I just noticed my Email actions that involve attaching files (PDFs) is not actually attaching the document to the email. The email is going out alright but there's no attachment.

This isn't the first time my emails with attachments quit working. I think this has happened a couple times over the past couple years. 

Perhaps a result of the recent upgrade?

Blake C
  • 09-02-2015 10:56 AM In reply to

Re: Email Attachments Not Working

I just did a quick debug and I see the action result for the PDF document I'm attaching to the email is a good link.

For some reason the email just isn't attaching the doc.

Blake C
  • 09-02-2015 10:59 AM In reply to

Hey Blake,

The server change should have not affected your attachment action. I did not receive any other reports of the that happening with other clients.

Did you get around to fix the issue? And if so what did the fix involve?

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
  • 09-02-2015 11:08 AM In reply to

No. I don't have a fix or work around for it. Just need the SendEmail action to work properly re: attaching a PDF file.

Blake C
  • 09-02-2015 4:05 PM In reply to

• fran
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-08-2009
    • Mountain View
    • Posts 453

Hi Blake,

I have been sucesfully sending out emails today with an attachment.

Sorry it is not working for you. its always frustrating.

Fran Reed
    FreedUp Solutions
    Intuit Solution Provider
    Advanced Certified Quickbooks ProAdvisor
    Advanced Method Solution Provider
  • 09-02-2015 4:16 PM In reply to

Further info...

Sending email with an attachment resulting from a Generate Report action works okay but when the attachment is from a Document table lookup where the result is a link to an actual document stored in the db, that doesn't get attached for some reason. Make sense?

Here's a Document link (click it, it exists and is accessible) that one of my Send Email actions is trying to attach. The email goes through just fine but there's no attachment: https://www.methodintegration.com/method/AccountPages/TMC/Images/Post%20ISD%20Soil%20Report%209-1-2015%2015-243-0861_11.PDF

Blake C
  • 09-03-2015 11:27 AM In reply to

Hey Blake,

Try these steps please:

>Build a new screen from the DocumentLibrary table.
    >Edit your new screen and drag out a grid object.  The fields required for the grid are: Document and Name.  You'll also need to add a Select link.
    >Drag the document field to your screen - this will preview the file you're about to send.
    >Add a button which you'll use to send the email (the action to send doesn't need to be a button).
    >On the button add an action to Send Email and in the attachement location use Value From Screen: Document

You first need to select the document to load it to the screen.  Once that document loads a physical path to the file is available on our server and can then be used to attach to an email.  There is no path to the file stored prior to clicking select so you will need to do this before sending the email.

Please try the above Blake and let me know of the outcome whether you're successful or not.

- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 09-03-2015 2:59 PM In reply to

This is an existing screen I created at least a year ago and it's been working fine until recently. It was working as recently as July 23 (the last time the action successfully attached a file to an email).

The document link is successfully pulled from the db and the path to the file is good (see the link in my previous message). It seems to be a problem with the Send Email action in Method.

Blake C
  • 09-04-2015 12:25 PM In reply to

Hey Blake,

I'm having a hard time trying to replicate the issue on my end.

Before changing or tweaking any actions, try this first:

> Create a copy of the screen and try sending out the email and see if the document is attached.

First and most basic layer of troubleshooting customized screens.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 09-06-2015 3:59 PM In reply to

Nope. Same behavior.

Blake C
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)