Method Community

selecting roles for Activity Status

Last post 10-03-2015 6:09 PM by Maureen. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-28-2015 8:45 AM

selecting roles for Activity Status

Is there any way to hide some of the activity status options from particular users (roles)?  I would be happy with a work around if there is not a direct root to achieving this.

Thanks

Maureen

• 09-30-2015 12:06 PM In reply to

Re: selecting roles for Activity Status

Hi Maureen,

If I understand correctly, you do not want to completely remove the Activity Status dropdown for certain Users just certain options within the dropdown? I'll have to look more into if that's a possible option. 

One thing that did come to mind you can try, (which we do on certain stock screens):

You can try using the Show/Hide Field/Object action that will check to see which Role the current active User viewing the screen is apart of. Then Show/Hide the correct dropdown for the User. Thus you will have more than one Activity Status dropdown and Show/Hide the correct one for the current User.

On the Users table there is a field called 'Roles' which holds which Roles the User is assigned to.

OnScreenLoad execute a Retrieve Value From Table for the Users table and match with of the current Active Users RecordID. Retrieve the Roles field for the User. Then in a condition statement you can do a IF RoleX THEN dropdownA ~ IF RoleY THEN ~ dropdownB - etc...

I hope that is clear and I have not tested on my end, give it a shot and let me know of the outcome and/or if you need to me to elaborate.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
  • 10-01-2015 9:12 AM In reply to

Hey Maureen,

I did take another look, first I wanted to confirm which Roles you are referring to, is the ones listed under ‘Customize > Roles’ or the Roles on the Users table that references the Tab Groups?

Knowing this we can put together a efficient solution than the quick one I put together that may leave room for a lot of overheard down the road.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 10-02-2015 7:58 AM In reply to

Roles from the user table.  

When I add/edit an Activity Status, I would like to be able to select which roles have access to that Activity Status.   On the same note, it would be nice to be able to make them specific to CRM or Field Service as many of the statuses I have for Work Orders are irrelevant to the other Activities.  Thanks so much for your help on this.

Maureen

• 10-02-2015 12:08 PM In reply to

Hey Maureen,

This should be a better solution:

> First start by adding a Text field to the ActivityStatus Table, in my example I call it: 'UserAccess'

> Now Customize the 'New / Edit Activity Statuses' (ActivityStatusList) screen and add that field onto the screen (I changed caption to make it easier to understand):

As it states we want to list the TabGroups we want to be able to view that Status in the dropdown. For Completed I only want Users who are accessing the Activity screen from the CRM TabGroup to view.

For 'Not Started' I wanted to give the Sales & CRM TabGroup access to view the Status so it looks like:

Lastly we need to add the filter to the Status dropdown on the Activity screen which will look like:

*note 'Contains'

Give that a shot and let me know of the outcome and/or if you need any further explaining.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 10-03-2015 6:09 PM In reply to

Thanks as always Mortaza!  I could not do it exactly that way, because I have my field service tab in my CRM tab group so that I don't need to switch back and forth all the time.  

I added two text fields to the ActivityStatus table.  "TabsThatUse" and "UsersThatUse". I then added them to the screen as you suggested.  Then edited the screens that I wanted to customize, and there you go.  Everything is working as I would like.  Though I do have to admit that I got lazy and when I realized i really wanted to just state users that could Not use certain statuses, and rather than going back and changing everything I just choose "Does Not Contain" for the current user filter and added "NOT," at the beginning of each user list so I would not forget!  I usually don't take short cuts but it was a long day, Lol! 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)