Method Community

Custom section on Method Invoice Report

Last post 03-13-2016 6:51 PM by Method_Adam. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-24-2016 9:06 AM

Custom section on Method Invoice Report

Is it possible to create item sections on a customized version of the Method Invoice report.

We sell items to customers, and they receive sfree amples based on how much they order.

All I want to do is split the detail portion of the invoice into 2 sections: Items, and Samples

It doesn't matter whether they're actual sections or fake ones, I just want the invoice titems o be divided into 2 clear areas/groups, while all the totals and taxes still work.

And I don't need any calculations or anything, we just add samples in QuickBooks as line items to the order as we see fit. We then add a subtotal line and discount them 100%

This is all for clean visual purposes.

Thanks

• 02-24-2016 12:27 PM In reply to

Re: Custom section on Method Invoice Report

Hey Mike, 

You will first need to insert a new Detail Report to your template. You can do this by right clicking on your template and head into "Insert Detail Report" then choose the corresponding Table.

I just re-used the SalesReceiptLine in my example with the same columns/fields. In your case you would add the necessary top column headings(ie. "Description") and add the Sample item fields.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
  • 02-24-2016 1:16 PM In reply to

Thanks - that looks like it will work!

Quick question though: what do yo mean regarding the headings? I will be using the same headings - I just may need to insert text to label the section.

Although, if I wanted different headings, where would they go? Would I create a new Header section? I realize you say I'll "need to add the headings to Detail2 if they are different". But do they go in the Detail2 section, just above the value fields? Or do I add a 2nd header (if even possible)?

• 02-24-2016 2:04 PM In reply to

Hey Mike,

If you are using the same headings, then you shouldn't have to re-add them for the new Detail Report.

If creating different headings, you shouldn't need to create a new GroupHeader. They would go right above the "DetailReport2" in my above screenshot. You can copy the above ones from Detrail1 for an idea of how it would look.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 02-24-2016 2:44 PM In reply to

OK, but please be specific. What do you mean by "They would go right above the "DetailReport1""? Within the DetailReport1 section? Above the Detail Report1 section?

• 02-24-2016 4:30 PM In reply to

Apologies I should have elaborate there.

1) For the new DetrailReport head into 'Edit and Reorder Bands...'

2) Within that new DetailReport1 you will want to add 2 sub bands. (1) GroupHeaders - being for the Headings (2) Detail2 - this one should already be listed: 

It will then be organized as such on your template:

Let me know if that clears it up.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 02-25-2016 9:07 AM In reply to

Yes, thank you.

• 03-01-2016 11:40 AM In reply to

While the report part works, is it possible to have 2 sections on the Method screen?

In other words, yes, I can make sections in a report, but how can I create/convert a Method ssplit creen into a PDF report?

Again, 1 section will be "Items" and 1 will be "Samples". They both pull from the "Items" table.

If I used 2 grids on the Invoice screen, would that work?

• 03-03-2016 7:36 AM In reply to

To clarify, I'd like to have 2 grids on the Invoice screen:

1. The first is for items ordered
    2. The second is for samples allocated

When printing the report from Method, I'd like to have separate sections/titles for each part of the invoice (ie. Items is one section and Samples is another).

I would also (obviously) like all items and samples to trickle down to QB, although I realize there will be no sections when viewing in QB.

Is this possible?

• 03-13-2016 6:51 PM In reply to

Hi Mike,

I've been able to do this in a simplistic way. I added a second attached grid of the InvoiceLine table to the Invoice screen. Since this is buillt to show all lines attached to that invoice, I put a filter in to filter out anything with 'sample' in the description for the first grid and the second grid to filter out anything that didn't have 'sample' in the description. This essentially separated the two sets of lines. You can setup a filter for whatever works best for you.

I'm sure there's many more efficient and cleaner ways to execute this, but the short of it is it can be done. Lines from both grids will sync to QB as well.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)