Method Community

Method API to automate Exporting

Last post 04-25-2016 4:00 PM by Method_Jonathan. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-13-2016 1:28 PM

Method API to automate Exporting

Hello, 

I am new to Method API so forgive me if my problem has an easy or obvious solution. 

I am trying to create a function that will ideally be able to automatically export every table from Method into an Excel compatible file, or at least bind this function to a button that will accomplish the same task after being pressed. 

Is there any reasonable way to accomplish this, since using export to download every single table seems very inefficient? I have searched this forum top to bottom and the only answers I have come across just say "it can be done" but give 0 explanation or direction.

Thank you

• 04-25-2016 4:00 PM In reply to

Re: Method API to automate Exporting

HI tractortoolsdirect,

You could retrieve a list of of tables in your Method account using the MethodAPITableListV2 call, and then loop through each table name to retrieve records using the MethodAPISelect_XMLV2 endpoint.  This would provide you with an Xml dump of a tables contents.  The data could then be manipulated into your desired format such as CSV.

Obviously these types of requests could lead to a large amount of queries and data exchange within the API depending on the size of your account.  I will caution against performing continuous massive data downloads, as it can be flagged as API abuse.  

Cheers

Jon

Jonathan Gamble
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: j.gamble@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)