Method Community

Importing Contacts

Last post 05-14-2016 10:50 AM by Method_Jim. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-14-2016 8:09 AM

• gfoxjr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2016
    • Posts 4

Importing Contacts

Hello!

I'm migrating data from SugarCRM, which has completely seperate contact and account tables. In the import/export tool there is no option to import contacts only, although there is a contact database. Older versions of method appear to have a seperate contacts table. In fact, I can see the contacts table in the current database structure, however I cannot directly import or export to this table. So I suppose I'm looking for some guidance on how the import process should proceed. My current plan:

1. Export and merge Sugar accounts with at least one contact into a single excel spreadsheet.

2. Export additional Sugar contacts in a seperate spreadsheet.

3. Import the accounts/contacts spreadsheet to the method:customers database.

4. Import the additional contacts spreadsheet to the method:___?___ database.

Can anyone help me fill in the above blank?

Much appreciated!

• 05-14-2016 8:19 AM In reply to

• gfoxjr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2016
    • Posts 4

Re: Importing Contacts

OK. I've found it.

"Show only common tables?" in the import/export tool. I'm a tool.

• 05-14-2016 10:50 AM In reply to

• Method_Jim
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-29-2014
    • Toronto, Method HQ
    • Posts 45

Re: Importing Contacts

Hey gfoxjr,

Yes, that's where Contacts are. Just a couple points to note as you go through the process:

• If the customers in #3 are in QuickBooks, then these customers should already be in Method.
    • If you want to add additional data to these Customers or Contacts, you will want to Export the Customers or Contacts table so that you can grab the corresponding RecordID to include in the data you import. This will help Method match the data to the right Customer/Contact.
    • Similarly, if you have additional contacts for an existing customer, then you will want to ensure you Export the Customers list to include the Customer's record ID so that you can have all of your contacts grouped up with the right Customer.

You can find more info here: https://www.methodintegration.com/method/kb.aspx?folder=Method&article=Importing-leads-and-customers&id=719

The team will be back in the office on Monday if you need additional help with this process.

Best,

Jim

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)