Method Community

HTML Input to static text window

Last post 06-12-2017 9:04 AM by Method_Morty. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2017 9:04 AM

HTML Input to static text window

Hi all,

I'm new to customizing in Method, and am working my way through the tutorials now.  I'd like to find out more about how the HTML editor works, although so far I haven't come across a lesson online that covers it.  So here's my question:

I'd like to have an HTML editor as an input that then populates a window that can't be edited.  So, someone would enter information into the HTML editor, and then after the Save button has been hit, the information entered is viewable in another box on the same screen but can't be altered again.  

I've been looking at how the other apps are built, but so far can't even figure out how an HTML editor saves the information at all.  I think it has something to do with the Focus attribute but am kind of lost.  So any guidance (even if it's a link to a video or tutorial) is appreciated.  

Thanks,

Nick

• 04-06-2017 10:05 AM In reply to

Re: HTML Input to static text window

Welcome to the Method forums!

The HTML Editor which is similar to the text input controller, but contains a lot more options to modify the text, embed media, and also formats HTML.

In your scenerio a total of 3 controllers on screen: 

- HTML Editor

- Submit button

- Text Input

The HTML Editor is where they will have access to enter their data into.

The Submit button will then take this data from the HTML Editor and update the Text Input with.

Set the Text Input load state as disabled so no one is able to modify the text.

To push the HTML Editor data into the Text Input, within Submit button click event, use the Update Controls On Screen action. Updating the Text Input control with the data from the HTML Editor.

Hope that makes sense! If not let me know and I can further break down the steps.

-- Morty

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
  • 06-07-2017 2:41 PM In reply to

Morty,

Thanks for the instructions, they were very helpful.  I do have a couple follow-up questions:

Is there a way to have the Submit button also clear the HTML Editor field?  I see that there is an option to clear the screen, but nothing to just clear the input field.  As a result, if I want to add anything in after submitting, I have to delete what was previously typed.  

On a related note, I'd like to be able to "build" the data into the Text Input screen in any subsequent entries, so that after several sessions there will be a complete history in that Text input field that can't be altered from within the Edit Case screen.  

I tried to see if I could link it to fields within a table but couldn't find the appropriate action to do so.  

Thanks, for any input.

Nick

• 06-12-2017 9:04 AM In reply to

On the Submit button you want to add the following action: 

Here you are updating the HTMLEditor with blank text, clearing the entry.

In regards to building a text input with multiple entries, this is possible to do, but not the most scalable option. As Text fields have character limits. But what you would want to use is the Character Function to join two strings together seperated by a New Line. See:

Character Function

— Thanks

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)