Method Community

Service Unavailable 503

Last post 02-20-2019 10:06 AM by botanica. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2019 10:39 PM

Service Unavailable 503

I've been getting Service Unavailable all afternoon/evening. Anyone else seeing this? ASMX down.

https://www.methodintegration.com/MethodAPI/service.asmx

Blake C
  • 02-18-2019 12:16 PM In reply to

Re: Service Unavailable 503

Blake - I was getting the same thing Sunday afternoon for several hours until it cleared up late evening.

• 02-19-2019 4:45 PM In reply to

Have you heard anything from Method about the outage.  I am looking for any information about why it went down and why they did not have any updates on twitter or a status page.  

• 02-19-2019 8:51 PM In reply to

dknoben - negative, my company is still working on transitioning to QB and Method so I wasn't actually impacted by the outage so I didn't do much follow-up on it.

• 02-19-2019 9:12 PM In reply to

They replied on Twitter apologizing for the inconvenience but it's really disturbing the API can be down for almost half a day w/out being fixed and it appeared to take my forum posts and a tweet for someone to address it. Is the API usage so infrequent that it can be down that long? Am I the only person using it for any sort of mission critical stuff on a weekend? Surely not...Right? I have a weekend payroll routine that runs from Azure, connects to the API and does a bunch of Activity, Sales Order line item data figuring and inserting records into custom payroll tables. It was down all Sunday afternoon from at least 2PM to 8PM CST. Sucks

Blake C
  • 02-20-2019 9:06 AM In reply to

Blake, dknoben and botanica, 

We understand how important the API is to many of our users, and I am encouraged by how you've used the API to further automate workflows.  The team has been investigating what went wrong, and why our monitoring did not pick up on the failure. Here is what I have found out from the team so far from their investigation:

The API is hosted on a cluster of servers, each with monitoring setup (which issue downtime alerts to our team) according to that server's availability.

What we have discovered so far is that only one server in the cluster had the API service go down during this period - so, fortunately, the outage did not affect all API users - but unfortunately it was the server your requests landed on and were sticky to. While the API service appears to have been down during this time on that server, the actual server was otherwise functioning properly and therefore was not automatically removed from the cluster's load balancer. We did find, however, that this one server had monitoring setup incorrectly, with the incorrect level of reporting (writing only to log files instead of sending pager alerts).

While we continue to investigate the root cause of why the API service went down on this server, we have resolved its monitoring configurations, and also double-checked all the monitoring configurations on other API servers to ensure this issue does not happen again in the future without our team being the first to know.

Thank you for your patience,

Paul

Paul Jackson
    Founder & CEO 

• 02-20-2019 9:36 AM In reply to

Great info....Thank you Paul! Much appreciated!

Blake C
  • 02-20-2019 10:06 AM In reply to

Thank you for the update, Paul. We're excited to get started with Method.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)