Method Community

Map - Google Maps

Last post 08-31-2019 8:48 AM by mathew_barnes. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-15-2010 6:50 PM

• hmsrpm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2010
    • Ohio
    • Posts 19

Map - Google Maps

I would like to have a form to input zip code to zip code and generate a route map.  I would then like to retrieve the total miles into a Method field.  I have not been able to locate documentation on how to do this.  Some help with this would be great.

Thanks

Heather Studer

RPM Transporter

Heather Studer
  • 11-16-2010 5:46 PM In reply to

Re: Map - Google Maps

Hi Heather,

Kindly note that although you are not able to use zip codes alone, inputting an address into a field(s), and creating a button with a series of actions to capture the value of the addresses with the  plot addresses function would enable you to do this.

As a reference point, if you have Method Full-blown edition, you can look at the way maps are used in the Expense Report application.

Regards,
    Denis

• 11-17-2010 8:38 AM In reply to

Just wanted to elaborate on my post from yesterday, to do this, you would have to create two text boxes, a button, and a mapping object. Then, using a character function, you would combine the first and second action results into a third line-break separated action result, which Google maps will recognize as two address points. Then using the mapping object preferences you can calculate the distance.

The exact screen in the Expense Report application you would look at is called "ExpReport_ShowMapDistance", which you can find under customize -> screens. To install the Expense Report application (Full-Blown users only), please visit this blog post.

Cheers,
    Denis

• 11-29-2010 3:52 PM In reply to

• hmsrpm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2010
    • Ohio
    • Posts 19

Denis

You replied to my post regarding if the mapping function could be used inputting only zip codes.  You responded that it couldn't use just zip codes.  I don't always have the full address at the time of generating a quote.  Is the ability to input just zip codes something Method could do for me on a customizable level.

Thanks

Heather

Heather Studer
  • 12-01-2010 5:38 PM In reply to

Hi Heather,

We are looking into the possibility and feasibility of setting this up. I will update the forum as soon as I hear back from the developers.

Regards,
    Denis

• 12-01-2010 7:43 PM In reply to

• hmsrpm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2010
    • Ohio
    • Posts 19

Thanks for the update.  Please keep me posted.

Heather Studer
  • 12-01-2010 8:23 PM In reply to

Answer

Heather - just a little background on why things are the way they are.........

Google Maps allows developers like us to limit addresses to a specific "accuracy level".  Right now we limit the accuracy level to "5", which is "Street Level".  

The reason for this is most people use the mapping to route driving directions, or optimize service/delivery routes - so if we aren't requiring a street level accuracy, we are making it way too easy for you to send drivers out with directions that don't make sense, or just send them to a general area............which is counter productive to Method's goal of making users successful through productivity!!

Now, we recognize that in some situations, mapping is used for purposes other than driving directions and route optimization.  So what we are going to do is put an accuracy field on the Generate Map action in Method, so that you can choose this yourself.

Can you elaborate more on what your end goal is so that we can understand it better?

Paul

• 12-01-2010 11:37 PM In reply to

• hmsrpm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2010
    • Ohio
    • Posts 19

Thank-you for the more in-depth update.  I operate a transportation brokerage.  So I do need the address level accuracy when a load is finally booked.  When a customer contacts us for a quote (eventually and online input form that sends them a quote), I just need to be able to put in a zip code to zip code location (or city & state to city & state).  This is enough information to generate the approximate miles to base a quote on.  It's more of an enticement for potential clients to not have to initially enter as much information.

http://www.a1autotransport.com/

The above is the input quote form for a competitor.  There is canned software out there that provides that basic functionality for individuals moving a vehicle.  The main focus of my company is to provide services for dealerships.  I want them to be able to log in and select their location and input the other zip code.  There is nothing out there out of the box that offers that. 

Please let me know your thoughts and a possible timeline, or if you have any other questions.

PS - So far I am very impressed with Method Integration.  This is one of the most impressive applications that I have ever come across.  I have been a Quickbooks Pro Advisor for three years now.  Method is amazing.  I'm looking forward to getting my application dialed in the way I need it.

Thanks

Heather Studer

RPM Transporter

www.rpmtransporter.com

419-310-8599

Heather Studer
  • 12-02-2010 4:44 PM In reply to

Heather -

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Also, thanks for appreciating Method - it makes all our hard work worthwhile when we hear forum posts like that :).

I updated our dev team ticket, to make sure we include an option for city, state.  Just for your reference, the ticket number we are watching is #1750 (in case you need us to check on the status for it). 

In terms of when.....I don't have an answer for you.  We are constantly juggling with prioritization of big initiatives, quick fixes, and feature tweaks such as this. It could be as early as in the next couple weeks, but it could be longer.  I wish I could give you a better idea - so feel free to check in regularly if it seems like we've forgotten.

Paul

• 12-02-2010 11:12 PM In reply to

• hmsrpm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2010
    • Ohio
    • Posts 19

Paul

Thanks for the guess of when to watch for this.  I have a lot of work to do to be ready for it.

All of your hard work is definately worth it.

Thanks

Heather

Heather Studer
  • 12-08-2010 10:57 AM In reply to

Heather - just an update.  The addition has actually been made in the "labs" now.  It is bundled with a bunch of other changes in progress that will likely take a few weeks to get finalized and tested before being made live.

Paul 

• 12-09-2010 11:56 PM In reply to

• hmsrpm
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2010
    • Ohio
    • Posts 19

Sounds greatParty!!!  Thanks again.  Method is truely a great product.  I can't wait until I get everything setup the way I want, but I'm off to a good start and have the rest mapped out.  I'm very excited to see the other changes that are coming.

Heather Studer
  • 12-28-2010 8:33 PM In reply to

I'm hijacking this thread just to say 'wow'!  The above dialogue and action is what makes Method such a great value. Thanks ya'll!

Richard Martyniak,M.Sc. Entomologist
    The Buzzkillers, LLC, an ALLFloridaBeeRemoval.com affiliate
  • 01-21-2011 11:26 AM In reply to

Heather -

I wanted to give you an update.  On today's new version of Method you can now set the accuracy level on the "Reset map" action while customizing a screen.

1. Edit the Reset Map action.

2. Click Set Map Attributes

3. Set Min Accuracy to "Zip/Postal Code".

4. Add a Plot Addresses action which plots the zip code form an action result or value on the screen.

I tested it by plotting zip codes from customer addresses found in QuickBooks and it works.  HOWEVER, I'm not entirely happy with it.  It zooms you right into the zip code at close range, so I found I had to manually zoom out a few levels before it became useful.  I've edited our suggestion ticket to ask that we have a feature that lets you set the zoom level.  I imagine it is possible.  We'll see.  For now, it is useable, just a little annoying!

Paul

• 11-30-2011 2:00 AM In reply to

So i've added 6 people to a specific date and clicked the map all in the column but the order it has them in is completely not optimized, how do you make the optimization aspect work without printing the map and ordering them yourself.  Also

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >