Method Community

Using Quickbooks in a Hosted Environment

Last post 10-12-2010 1:39 PM by Anonymous. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2010 11:36 AM

Using Quickbooks in a Hosted Environment

I understand that Method has two approved hosting partners, Right Networks and InsynQ.  My client has already set up his QB in a hosting environement with a different network.

I need to be able to explain to my client why only Right Networks and InsynQ are approved, why others are not, and what will happen if they try to sync with Method using a non-supported network.

Can anyone put this in layman's terms for me so that I can explain it to my client?

Laura Fischer
    Business Accounting Software, Inc.
    512-267-2277
  • 10-12-2010 1:39 PM In reply to

Re: Using Quickbooks in a Hosted Environment

Hey l.Fischer,

Danny did up a good post that actually explains this very well, check it out below.

Method_Danny:

I wanted to just add in some of my own, personal feedback, with my experiences with Citrix and Terminal Servers.  I actually helped Right Networks and Insynq, both of which we are partners with, to get Method setup and installed on their environment.  While I'd love to say that our level of involvement during the process was minimal, it wasn't.  It was a very long process and one that involved a lot of back and fourth dialog.  Not the typical install that's for sure. We invested the time though knowing that it would benefit the entire Method Community with being able to use a hosted QB environment.

Both of these environments brought their own challenges and configuration issues.  These issues came up with the actual sync engine only and had nothing to do with the browser.  The beauty of Method being web based is that you don't have to deal with installing anything as long as you have a browser that we support (Firefox or IE).  The sync engine issues all surrounded permissions with opening the sync engine properly and secondly with QuickBooks being able to open Method correctly.  QuickBooks already isn't the biggest fan of being installed on these environments so when you throw Method into the mix and us using features like COM abilities in QB(to open Method automatically) it starts to get a bit ugly.  Both RN and Insynq had their admins work through several permission problems, both of which were totally different for both setups.  Be aware of this as you walk into doing such a setup.  Because each environment like this can be so different based on the permissions, roaming profiles and architecture it is pretty far away from the normal installation a Method user would follow.  For this reason, we also don't support it for end users.

Method will work in these environments and both our partners have set this up successfully.  In fact one of our other silent partners also got this setup in a much larger environment but I know the administrators had to do a lot of leg work with permissions to get this going.  Use the guide the Ryan suggested as it does point out a lot of standard areas within Method that need to be setup correctly.  If these aren't setup the right way in your environment, you might run into trouble.

- Danny

To see the full post, click on the link below.

http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/forums/p/896/3035.aspx#3035

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)