Method Community

Generate Mailto Link

Last post 11-04-2010 1:59 PM by akoumjian. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-02-2010 8:46 AM

Generate Mailto Link

Hello,

I'd like to add a button which opens up the user's default email client (Outlook, gmail, etc.), inserts the relevant to: and subject: fields, and possibly adds an attachment. I do not want to send mail through Method, for a variety of reasons.

I know that for the attachment, I need to generate a report and save it as an action result and that for the email I just need to query the database.

The options I've found include "Load Web Page" and "Call Web Service". Load web page does not accept parameters, nor does it recognize "mailto:" addresses. The Call Web Service will not add itself as a action, possibly because it doesn't like the mailto: url.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 11-02-2010 4:21 PM In reply to

Re: Generate Mailto Link

• 11-03-2010 5:01 PM In reply to

Hi Alec,

At this time Method does not provide a way for you to prefill a new message with those fields or add an attachment and send them to an email client outside of Method.

Regards
    Denis

• 11-04-2010 1:40 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Alec,

One workaround that we thought of here at Method is to use MailTo handle. This will allow who ever clicks the link to open their default client with some preset parameters (Subject, CC, BCC, Body). However, you will not be able to use attachments.

1.      Drag a label object on the screen, Label1.

2.      Drag a button on the screen.

3.      On the button put an action “Enter value into field on screen”, choose Label1, Type In, <a href='mailto:method@methodintegration.com'>Mail here!</a>

4.      Finish.

5.      Publish the screen.

6.      View the screen.

7.      Click the button.  You’ll see the label turned to “Mail here!”.

8.      Click Mail here!, it will open it up in Outlook.

Regards,
    Denis

• 11-04-2010 1:59 PM In reply to

Nice workaround. I appreciate the effort, this will certainly streamline things a bit.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)