Method Community

Pulling Custom Field From Quickbooks

Last post 12-09-2010 5:06 PM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2010 1:36 PM

• salson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-06-2010
    • Posts 5

Pulling Custom Field From Quickbooks

I am trying to figure out the best way to pull a custom field into Method from Quickbooks. Within each of our estimates we have the company name (ship to) and the customers' name (custom field called customers with individual end users names) that we need to put into Method from estimates in Quickbooks. Any advice that you can give will be most helpful.

• 12-07-2010 11:59 AM In reply to

Re: Pulling Custom Field From Quickbooks

Answer

Hi Salson,

QuickBooks has the ability to add up to 15 additional custom fields to your screens which can be applied to a combination of Customers:Jobs, Vendors, or Employees, provided that no more than 7 custom fields apply to each type. Custom fields are also limited to 30 characters, which Method then pulls from QuickBooks. You have to ensure, that in QB you set up Custom Fields (under additional info -> advanced) for the appropriate type. (i.e. Estimates resides under Customer:Job type, so you have to enable this checkmark). If the above is correctly selected, Method will have access to these additional custom fields when designing screens.

In Method, you can create a custom Estimate screen that will contain this custom field by following the following steps:

1. Go to customize -> screens section, clicking Edit...  on the Estimate screen (or any other screen you wish to customize).
    2. As Method does not allow you to modify default screens, it will prompt you to make a copy of the estimate screen.
    3. Follow the wizard with default options until step 3, where you should select "Add a Tab Link", and select the Tab you wish to add your second Estimate screen to (presumably "Customer Center") and hit "Finish".
    4.  Once the screen finishes copying, find and Edit... this new screen, this will bring up the Method screen editor.
    5. You will find your custom field(s) listed in alphabetical order on the left-hand side list of fields (clicking 'next fields' reveals more fields). 
    6. Drag your custom field from QuickBooks where you would like this field to appear in Method.

Voila! Publish, Save & Close, and you're done. Whatever data you input in this field in Method will be reflected in QuickBooks and vice versa. 

Regards,
    Denis 

• 12-07-2010 2:23 PM In reply to

• salson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-06-2010
    • Posts 5

Hi Denis,

Thanks for your post. I tried what you recommended but the custom field is not being populated in Method. I resynched with QB but nothing is coming up. Please advise or provide any other suggestions.

• 12-09-2010 5:06 PM In reply to

Hi Salson,

The above instructions should yield the desired result, as I've tested this on my machine and it works. What you can do is check the estimate table to see if the custom field is showing up there under customize -> tables and fields. If it isn't listed, please double check the above work-flow to ensure all steps were followed exactly. What you can also do is enable Method Support user under customize -> users. This will allow me to go into your account and have a peek.

Regards,
    Denis

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)