Method Community

Running QB data file on a server - How to setup Method sync engine

Last post 12-29-2010 3:43 PM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-24-2010 11:36 AM

Running QB data file on a server - How to setup Method sync engine

Merry Chrstmas All,

I am new and am setting up my QB sync for the first time. Two questions:

1. Since I am running my QB database on a server, do I install the method sync engine on the server or on each client desktop?
      1. If I have to install the engine on each client, does that mean at least one of the clients need to be running with quickbooks open for a live sync to happen?
    2. I am currently using Qxpress desktop version as our scheduling software and we will be switching to Method. If I use my real QB data file rather than a test file to sync with Qxpress and Method at the same time, will that cause any issues?
      1. I would rather sync with the real data file so I can setup my recurring jobs with the real data and then when we decide to go live, just stop using Qxpress. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Gift

Bryan Hand
    Owner
    Hand Crafted Pool Care, Inc.
  • 12-24-2010 12:10 PM In reply to

Re: Running QB data file on a server - How to setup Method sync engine

Answer

Hi handcrafted,

Method installs along side any Quickbooks insallation you may have; so you must install Method on the main "QB" server, as well as any additional computers that run QB. Method will run in "listen only" mode on the additional machines. Quite simply, if changes are made in QB, there needs to be Method beside it to sync with. If changes are made within Method (on the site), then provided the Sync Engine is open on the main computer, it will sync it back to QB.

Regarding your second question, syncing both at the same time will not cause any issues. As far as Method is concerned, QB is simply being updated with data that it pulls, regardless of whether that data comes from QB or Qexpress -> QB.Therefore you can sync with your real data file and simply stop using Qxpress whenever you wish.

Regards,
    Denis

• 12-24-2010 1:39 PM In reply to

Denis,

so you are saying that I need to install the method engine on my server even though that is where the database file is located? All the server does is host the file, it does not access it.

My understanding was that the method engine only needs to be installed on a computer that is going to be opening the file and using it, ie where the Quickbooks software is loaded on a client.

Please clarify.Big Smile

Thanks.

Bryan Hand
    Owner
  • 12-24-2010 1:53 PM In reply to

Hi Handcrafted, 

I think there is a little bit of confusion as to what is classified as the "main computer".  You are totally correct that you should only install Method on the computers that actually physically opens QuickBooks.  Therefore, if the QuickBooks server is only housing the database, you should NOT install the Method Engine on the server.  You'll want to install the Method Engine on all other computers that actually open QuickBooks, that way you have real-time sync capabilities throughout the day.  

The main computer (or better known as the computer that is left on the most) is the computer that has QuickBooks installed and is the computer where the initial sync was made.  This computer is the one to be most concerned about since if this computer is off, the rest of the computers won't be able to sync changes to QuickBooks until this computer is turned on again.

I hope that helps and Merry Christmas!

Danny Drinks

• 12-29-2010 3:12 PM In reply to

Thank you Danny, that makes sense now.

I appreciate the help!

Bryan Hand
    Owner
  • 12-29-2010 3:43 PM In reply to

handcrafted:

Thank you Danny, that makes sense now.

I appreciate the help!

No problem.  Glad that cleared things up.  

Danny

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)