Method Community

Case Numbers

Last post 02-09-2009 8:20 AM by Method_Valbon. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2009 1:48 PM

Case Numbers

We are using the Case's Screen to record what we call "Calls".  We also have a specific "Call Report Number" that goes with each call.  Is there a way to change the AUTO NUMBERING Case #?  So instead of starting with '1,2,3..." it starts with 09-001 and then continues to count up without reusing numbers?

thanks,

Wavetec 

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 02-09-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

Re: Case Numbers

Hi,

How important is it that you apply that exact Case Report Number format? What you’re looking to do can be done but would require a) more information and b) the use of multiple actions to work properly.

Here’s what I gathered from it; the case number you’ve described can be broken down into two parts. First you have the prefix ’09-‘which I assume will not change. The second part is what you’re looking to auto generate in increments of 1.

First things first, if you’re looking to relate the new ‘case report number’ to a specific record (call) you’ll have to add a new field to the Case table and add the field to the screen afterwards.  Use the character function to join the prefix ’09-‘to the record ID which already auto generates and adds 1 each time.  Then use the Update Field in Table action to enter the value of the previous action’s result.

If you’re heart is set on your specific format for the Case Report Number maybe this is something we can consider handling through our Assisted Services / Customization.

Hope that helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)