Method Community

Methods API response time

Last post 02-03-2011 1:27 PM by Method_Paul. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-03-2011 1:15 PM

• DaveS
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-03-2009
    • Boulder, Colorado
    • Posts 87

Methods API response time

I have a question about using the MethodsAPI. Can you tell me what type of response time I should see when i query a methods table like the transaction table.

I understand that the returned XML dataset response time will be based on the amount of data I request (number of records and fields requested and other factors)..

Example: if in a API query request I ask for 100 records with 4 fields, it returns in say 1 sec. If I ask for 100,000 records it may take 30+ minutes. Do you have any benchmark times for amount of data requested and the time it should take to receive the XML data.

Is there a limit on how many records I can return? Do you have a recommendation on how large a dataset can be before seeing bad response time.

Thanks

Dave Sakamoto CPA, MBA
    Founder and CEO Info On The Web
    Dave.Sakamoto@InfoOnTheWeb.com
  • 02-03-2011 1:27 PM In reply to

Re: Methods API response time

Answer

Dave -

There is no limit we impose on the size of a dataset.

We do not have any benchmark tests to share.  The time it takes to download a dataset will depend mostly on your ISPs downstream bandwidth. Best practice is return as little as is needed.  So limit the records and the columns to only what your use case requires and you will have the smallest dataset size, and fastest download.  The easiest thing for you do with tests is test with your own data.

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)