Method Community

New field in invoiceline table

Last post 02-21-2011 8:40 AM by Method_Valbon. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-18-2011 5:37 PM

New field in invoiceline table

I created a new field in the InvoiceLine table. Is it possible to edit this field, or do I need to delete and start over if I want to make changes?

Thanks,

Andy

• 02-18-2011 5:53 PM In reply to

Re: New field in invoiceline table

More specifically, it's a dropdown field that I want to add more options to when I drop down.

• 02-18-2011 7:07 PM In reply to

Another thing about these user created fields. How do I get it to show up in Report Designer so that I can incorporate it with the printed version of the invoice?

• 02-19-2011 6:51 AM In reply to

When you create a dropdown field all the values that appear in the list are actually in a different table.   When you are in the invoice screen, for example, the Customer dropdown shows you all the customers from the Customer table.

So in your case you created a new dropdown field, I'm guessing, in the Customer table, called say "Widgets".  Therefore, Method created a Widgets table to store all the possible selections.

So what you need to do is just modify the contents of the new Widget table.  If you go to Customize > Screens, you'll see that we probably already created a screen for you.  Just find it and click the View icon.  You can modify this Widget table to have other fields, like "IsActive", and "Description" that bring more meaning to your dropdown - and then you can modify your Widgets screen so that you can show your fields and provide extra functionality.

(Obviously substitute Widget for the real name of your field and table!)

In terms of putting them on the invoice, you can customize the invoice print out using the Method Report Designer, which you can access by clicking More Actions.. > Customize Print Templates... from the invoice screen.

Which table do you add the field to, the Customer table or the Invoice table?

Paul

• 02-19-2011 6:58 AM In reply to

Scratch that  "Which table do you add the field to, the Customer table or the Invoice table?" - I see from the subject that it was the InvoiceLine table!

TIP 1:  Make a copy of the original invoice(Product) template and modify that.  Don't modify the original.......reason being....even the most experienced report designers need to revert their changes from time to time.  I always make a copy of the template I am working on before making any significant changes.  You can do this by going to File > Save As.

TIP 2: when dragging fields in the Method Report designer for the InvoiceLine table, don't drag from the InvoiceLine dataset.  Instead, expand the Invoice dataset, and drag from the InvoiceLine inside there.  You'll see what I mean when you get in there.

Paul

• 02-19-2011 2:07 PM In reply to

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help. I was able to find the dropdown from the list of screens and add/delete options from there.

In regards to designer, I know what you mean. I ran into problems with dragging from the InvoiceLine dataset before and realized it only works if I drag from within the InvoiceLine inside the Invoice dataset. While I was working on this last night, I couldn't find the dropdown I created, but when I checked this morning it was there. However, last night I also added a text field for "Container/LCL" on my invoice screen and I can't find where the field is in the data set in report designer. Should it be available automatically under Invoice? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or it takes some time to show up?

Thanks,

Andy

• 02-21-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

Answer

Hi Andy,

Adding a new field to a table (in your case Invoice or InvoiceLine) in Method should also make it available on the Report Designer. You might have to close the report and re-open it to see the changes. Maybe that's why you didn't see it last night but it worked in the morning?

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)