Method Community

odd issue where screen#2 creates a blank screen#1 and refers to itself?

Last post 04-01-2009 6:03 PM by Wavetec. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-30-2009 6:28 PM

odd issue where screen#2 creates a blank screen#1 and refers to itself?

I have 2 custom screens.  1 is a call report and 2 is an RMA.  There is  a field for Call report# and Rma# on both screens.  For some reason, when I create an RMA it saves a blank call report with what looks like a Record ID # in the Call Report# area and the refering RMA # in it's place on the screen.  The Call Report screen does NOT do this with the RMA screen and they are both linked to eachother.  Val has the information to logon if necessary.  I'm speaking of the "Qualilty Reports" tab.

thank you

Greg Shires

Wavetec

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 03-31-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

Re: odd issue where screen#2 creates a blank screen#1 and refers to itself?

Hi there!

I confirmed with Val that he doesn't have any login information for your account.  If at some point you added him as a user, we do not save the login info for security purposes. Likewise, it is not our policy to log into an account and do forensics on a customization job that we did not do, to do so would require a consultation fee.  If we're addressing a bug, that's a different story! Wink

However, I'm sure that we can get to the bottom of this here on our forum.  I'll need a bit more info, though.  You're saying that the fields are linked to one another.  How?  Please tell me how the fields were created.  Are they both dropdowns? Linked fields, etc.?  Also, which one is functioning properly, if any?

• 03-31-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

Sorry, the last time I had Val doing some customization with us I thought we set that up.  No matter.  here's the scenario. 

I have a "Call Reports" screen.  That screen has a CR#(Text Field).  It also has an RMA#(Text Field), that we go back and  manually enter,  if a CR becomes an RMA.

I have a "RMA" screen.  It has an RMA#(Text field).  It also has a dropdown that pulls up the CR# the RMA would come from.  This dropdown field points to the Call Report Table.

The Call Report Screen works fine.

When I enter a new RMA it seems to create a "blank" Call report and inserts it into the Call Report Screen and Table.  The only data on the screen is the RMA#(that I just created) and what looks like a RECORD ID# in the CR# area.  Our CR#s look like "CR 09 -0001".  The number on the "blank" one is like "57" and if I enter a number of RMAs I get "57, 58, 59, ..."

I have a screen shot if that helps.  Can I attach a word doc or just insert the image?

thanks.

Wavetec

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 03-31-2009 4:13 PM In reply to

Hi there!

Well, we discourage screen shots on the forums since the forum is intended for general how-to questions that can benefit all Method users.  Your issue is quite a bit more specialized as it pertains to specific concerns within your customization job and may require booking some consultation time if we can’t get to the bottom of this.  Again, forensics are tough to diagnose and often require more time.

From a surface level, it seems to me as though there’s a design issue somewhere in the mix.  It could be actions that you set to be triggered on text change, or gain or lose focus on a field somewhere on the page.  It just doesn’t seem right that a dropdown would automatically make a selection for you unless you’ve asked it to do so previously.  What I recommend is seeing when the field is populating with the incorrect data and then going field by field to review the action sets that are assigned to each field.  Remember to review the action sets on all the possible triggers for each field.  

• 04-01-2009 6:03 PM In reply to

I found it.  I didn't understand what you meant by searching "ALL" the triggers on each field.   I knew the field that was causing the problem but when I looked at the actions there wasn't anything there.  It happened to be on "Button click" so there were no actions.  It was only by dumb luck that I switched over to text change to add an action that I noticed there was already one there.  That was the culprit.  It's cool that you can have different things triggered by different actions on the same field but it would be easier to trouble shoot if there was a message or icon that let you know there were other actions entered on one or more of the other triggers.  Just a thought...

Cheers.

Thank you,
    Wavetec
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)