Method Community

TimeKeeping in Field Service and/or Timekeeping in Employee Center

Last post 02-25-2011 12:12 PM by Method_Michael. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2010 12:54 PM

TimeKeeping in Field Service and/or Timekeeping in Employee Center

Hi,

I am wanting two functions;

1.  Tracking Job Time per Employee - Field Service Module - I see how to enter time there.

2.  I need a daily time sheet for the Employee that is linked with Payroll; for example;

Time In: 8AM -  Time Out: 5pm.   Lunch 30 minutes.

Question:  If the same employee logs time into the Field Service Module, will there time be linked to the Employee TimeKeeping Screen?   

Can the employee do both?     Can I have the field service module NOT link with the payroll time sheet in Employee timetracking for the same USER in Method/Employee?

Business Owner Solutions and Services
  • 12-09-2010 3:35 PM In reply to

Re: TimeKeeping in Field Service and/or Timekeeping in Employee Center

Answer

Hi Beth,

The time-tracking area in Field Services Tab is built off the time tracking table under Employee Center tab, so they are indeed linked. The key distinction between the two is as follows:

Employee Center -> Time Tracking: This section allows you to enter in time entries identical to the way they are entered in QuickBooks, including the Employee time sheet.

Field Service -> Work Order List -> Time In / Time Out: This section extends your time tracking abilities by giving you added Field Services features such as budgeting hours, doing job costing, scheduling work orders, and logging actual work hours against these schedules. For example, a technician or sub-contractor going out to complete a few jobs at different locations; Field Services allows you to track how much time they spent at each location, and what job they performed.

The main question here is whether or not you are a Field Service company. If not, then you should enter your time tracking entries into the Time Tracking screen under Employee Center.

Depending on the above, for #2, you can customize Method to have an additional "lunch" field through customize -> screens, and through a series of actions, calculate the duration of each job / entry in the respective screen, minus the "lunch" action result.

Should you require additional help with this, you may contact our customization expert Michael at m.melo@methodintegration.com. Please note, that customization of any kind, as well as the consulting on how to do this, is a chargeable service. 

Let me know if this answers your question.

Regards,
    Denis

• 12-29-2010 2:38 PM In reply to

• LilAaron
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-04-2010
    • Austin area, TX
    • Posts 48

Hi Denis,

How does one handle travel time for service technicians that is not charged to the job for which the technician would be compensated? I understand we can have a Start/Stop/(less lunch)/Start/Stop for the technician.  However, how do you handle the time between jobs (such as travel) in Field Services?  Here's the scenario:

1) The technician is paid from the time they arrive at the company office, less lunch time until the time they check out in the afternoon at the office. 

2) The customer is charged only for the time the technician is working at the customer's site

So how (and where) is the time entered so the technician receives his full pay and the customer is only charged for time spent at his site?  This needs to be kept simple for the technicians.

Thanks!

Lillian Aaron
    Business Accounting Software, Inc.
    512.267.2277 x800

Supporting:
    QuickBooks Enterprise
    TRAVERSE Accounting Software
    Open Systems Accounting Software
    Method CRM
  • 01-05-2011 9:08 AM In reply to

Hi LilAaron,

Please refer to this forum post by Michael Melo with regards to the TimeKeeping customization details.

Regards,
    Denis

• 02-25-2011 9:45 AM In reply to

• GaryK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2011
    • Posts 18

Can someone tell me if Method has a weekly time sheet similar to the one in my QB Contractor edition.  I only see an input screen where I can do one employee (or sub or vendor) at a time and only one day at a time.  Maybe there is a third party application for this.  At this point, we are not using field services.  I would like to have an employee using Method add the hours of our hourly employees once a week and the weekly time sheet format is much easier.

Thanks, Gary

• 02-25-2011 12:12 PM In reply to

Gary,

Currently there is no screen like the QuickBooks Weekly Timesheet in Method but this is something we have received feedback on and have discussed internally here at Method.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)