Method Community

Web-To-Lead for Applicants

Last post 06-08-2012 10:01 AM by Anonymous. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-19-2012 11:50 PM In reply to

Re: Web-To-Lead for Applicants

Paul,

Just asking this question again as the Web forms are not allowing it. 

"The design of the Thank you page is not allowing me to put any information into the box. I have noticed this to come and go as well (sometimes does, sometimes doesn't)" Basically, I can't design a thank you email.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

• 03-20-2012 8:37 AM In reply to

@mrjonboy - I tried it myself on both FireFox and Chrome and experienced the same problem as you. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

We've been having problems with the latest version of the HTML editor we use, and are in the process of replacing it.  The "labs" version of Method has the new HTML editor, but the web forms is a separate application, and still has the old HTML editor.  I've put a ticket in to get that replaced too.  

For now, I found an awkward workaround that always gets it to work properly for me when it gets "stuck". It's bad that I'm asking you to go through these steps, but at least it will get you the desired results until we have an update.

1. Change the tab from "Design" to "Preview" on the HTML Editor.

2. Change the "Get email from" from "Dropdown" to "Textbox".

3. Change the tab back to "Design" on the HTML Editor.

4. Change the "Get email from" back to "Dropdown".

Then the HTML Editor gets unstuck.

In terms of the original problem.  We have a developer looking at it. It appears that the error we saw in the logs was when the grid in step 8 loaded.  We're still unsure why that error came, or how to reproduce it, and we're still not sure if that is related to why you experienced a data loss when you saved.  I'll let you know as soon as I hear more.

Paul

• 03-22-2012 8:53 PM In reply to

@mrjonboy -

Here's an update on the latest.

(1) We were able to track down the location where you were getting the error.  It appears to have been in step 8, where it looks like you edited a field's properties.  When you saved the properties, the wizard got upset that the field size was "-1".  That's a problem on our side, nothing you are doing wrong.  We're looking into the best way to handle that, so it's still in the developer's hands.

(2) However, it doesn't seem like the error we got could have really caused any data loss on saving or loading - at this point the error seems completely unrelated to the problem you are posting about.  So we still don't know how you could have any data loss, and haven't been able to reproduce it.  The logs aren't giving us anything else to go on.

(3) So what we have done is put an update that beefs up what is being written to the logs, in the hopes that if it happens again, we'll get more information.

(4) We put in a new "Copy" feature that allows you to make a copy of an existing web form. This helps you keep moving forward on the project.  Using the new Copy feature, before you make edits to your web form, you can make a copy (consider it a backup), so if anything does go wrong, you can easily go back to your last version.  

This allows you to make small iterations until we get to the source of the problem.

Paul

• 04-10-2012 2:57 PM In reply to

Hey Paul, we had a error on a WTL form that returned this in the email to us. Can you evaluate?

Your client had encountered an error with web form Moxie Girl web-to-lead. This may be due to incorrect setup of the web form. The error encountered was: 2012-Apr-06 02:26:34 PM could not be found as a possible value for field 'OpportunityRef' to insert. Please check the spelling.

It appears to be something with the date and time structure. Ideas on what I can do to fix?

Thank you,  

• 04-10-2012 4:39 PM In reply to

@mrjonboy - allow me to try and jump in this thread.

mrjonboy:
    2012-Apr-06 02:26:34 PM could not be found as a possible value for field 'OpportunityRef'

This suggests that the field 'OpportunityRef' is a drop-down field. The thing with drop-down fields is you can only select from values that already exists in the list. i.e. If you had a drop-down containing colours with options (Red, Blue, Green) you would not be able to select and use 'Yellow' since it is not a listed option.

The other question I have is should the field OpportunityRef be accepting dates and times? Or is it meant to hold some other kind of data? Maybe you can take a look at the affected Method table containing that field and see what kind of data currently exists.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 04-11-2012 7:43 AM In reply to

Well the thing is I do not see a field called "OpportunityRef" in my Opportunity table or in my web form.

• 04-11-2012 7:53 AM In reply to

The same thing is happening with another web form we use for employee applications. This one returned this error.

"Your client had encountered an error with web form Web-to-Applicant. This may be due to incorrect setup of the web form. The error encountered was: It does not appear the field 'Age16' exists in the table."

I know when the form was created there was a field called this but it got deleted from the web form, the web site where the form is located and from the table but the form is still looking for it for some reason. 

• 04-11-2012 8:36 AM In reply to

@mrjonboy,

mrjonboy:
    Well the thing is I do not see a field called "OpportunityRef" in my Opportunity table or in my web form.

The Opportunity drop down doesn't necessarily have to be on the opportunity table, it could be a field on another table used by the web-to-lead forum. I would suggest the following:

Load the web-to-lead forum and go through steps 2-5 which should list the tables that are being used and the selected fields. Try checking the Activity table and see if you are using the field 'Opportunity'

You can also verify this in step 8 of 9 where you see the complete list of tables and fields. Scroll through the 'Table - Field' column and find anything on the field side for 'Opportunity'. Our standard web-to-lead forum will use the Activity table Opportunity field which is a drop down for the Opportunity Record ID. We include a formula for this field 'RecordID_ReadOnly_Step3' to ensure it uses a proper value.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 04-11-2012 8:47 AM In reply to

@mrjonboy,

mrjonboy:
    The same thing is happening with another web form we use for employee applications

I think it's pretty cool that you're not only trying to tweak our standard web-to-lead form but you're trying to use more than one. Hope I can help you out.

mrjonboy:
    I know when the form was created there was a field called this but it got deleted from the web form, the web site where the form is located and from the table but the form is still looking for it for some reason. 

You mentioned you deleted a field, try following my advice from the previous post by going through steps 2-5 and 8 of 9 (especially #8) which should list all the table and fields you are trying to use on the form.

I'm just going to guess that 'Age16' is trying to be inserted into a drop down and it's not a listed option. Can you tell me the name of a field and what table you're trying to use?

To help speeds up this process, we can schedule a consulting session to take a look at your custom form. Feel free to contact me if yo'd like to do this or post back with some more details.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 04-11-2012 10:00 PM In reply to

Thank you for the replies.

I have an Employment table that I originally created with the field 'Age 16'. I have since changed that to 'US Legal'. it is a simple check box for yes or no (actually a radio button on the website that provides the value into Method). My web-to-applicant form does not show that field anymore in the form or in any of my tables. I am not real sure why the error was thrown. 

However, I must have a lot of errors b/c I am getting about 30 emails/day with people using the form and getting errors. Yikes. 

Regarding the 'Opportunity' field, yes, we are using that field for the Activity table (in two places - also for a follow-up activity). I believe this was setup by Method as I just copied that form. The formula still says like you stated - RecordID_ReadOnly_Step3 in both of those cases. 

I am not super familiar with the formulas format so that is challenging for me. It would be nice to have a formula list or something. Like for instance it would be nice to know how to say format a cell to show a date a certain way. I am not that good yet. 

• 04-12-2012 2:38 PM In reply to

mrjobboy,

mrjonboy:
    I have an Employment table that I originally created with the field 'Age 16'. I have since changed that to 'US Legal'. it is a simple check box for yes or no (actually a radio button on the website that provides the value into Method).

Can you go to customize>>>tables / fields and find that field in the employement table? What is the field type you see? Depending on what you come back with this could be the issue.

You mentioned this table is called 'Employment' why did you create this custom table? Was it when you were trying to add a dropdown to another table and doing so required a new table for the dropdown? Or for another reason?

mrjonboy:
    Regarding the 'Opportunity' field, yes, we are using that field for the Activity table (in two places - also for a follow-up activity). I believe this was setup by Method as I just copied that form. The formula still says like you stated - RecordID_ReadOnly_Step3 in both of those cases

Is it possible for you to test our standard form and see if that works without customization? I'd be curious to know.

mrjonboy:
    I am not super familiar with the formulas format so that is challenging for me. It would be nice to have a formula list or something. Like for instance it would be nice to know how to say format a cell to show a date a certain way. I am not that good yet.

I agree this would be nice but these formulas are written using SQL and there's no real easy way around this yet. You can search the web for but that may not always get you places.

In a situation like this, it might be worth to get some consulting to (a) help determine the issue and (b) to serve as basic training for customizing our web-to-lead form process.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 06-06-2012 11:02 AM In reply to

Ok, this relates to this post in that it is asking for help with our Web-To-Applicant form, however, I believe is a new issue. The form was working correctly for the most part, however, we needed to make some changes to it as well as some of the tables that it relates to so that we could create a custom report (an employment application to print out) based on all this info. We realized we didn't have some table relationships properly set-up to create the report, hence opening up this can of worms. I believe we have those relationships now set-up with the FullName field being the link between the Applicants, Employment, Employment Former, and Education tables (all the tables that are used for this web form).

So in making all those table changes and then applying those changes in a new copied (Web-to-Applicant2) web form we are now getting a consistent error on the Web form (http://moxie-girl.com/company/application.php). After the required fields are completed it says there is an error and to contact the forms provider for a solution (https://www.methodintegration.com/MethodWebForms/error.aspx?error=An%20error%20was%20encountered.%20Please%20contact%20form%20provider%20for%20a%20solution.%20Thank%20you.)

No information is sent to our method account from the web form when the error happens. 

Would someone be able to take a look at this web form to see if there are any glaringly obvious code issues?

Thank you, 

• 06-06-2012 1:31 PM In reply to

mrjonboy:
    Would someone be able to take a look at this web form to see if there are any glaringly obvious code issues?

The best way to test your form is to take the raw HTML from the last step of the web form tool and upload that to your web server (without any formatting).  You want to test the HTML code we give you before any formatting.  Try this and post back your results.

~C

• 06-06-2012 2:45 PM In reply to

mrjonboy:

Just to be clear on what you need to do for us to review this issue.  On the last step of the web form where we generate the HTML, please copy and paste the HTML code into a blank HTML page and put this on your server.  The form should work as is, if it doesn't then please provide us a URL to the form and we can look further.

~C

• 06-07-2012 1:11 AM In reply to

Yes, I tried this. I did put our formatted form back on our website after attempting this. Would you like me to put the Method generated form back up? 

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >