Method Community

Dropdown confusion

Last post 11-15-2016 12:12 PM by Method_Jim. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2015 12:50 PM In reply to

Re: Dropdown confusion

You'll need to add the field to the Edit Contact screen to be able to save that selection to the Contact record. That's why it's not showing up on the View Contact screen. The problem with adding it to just the New Contact screen the save button is not saving that selection to the Contact record.

If you Edit the Grid on Contact List and add that CustomerCategory field column to the Grid you will see if the Contact has a CustomerCategory saved for his record.

I thought you wanted it to be unselectable on the View Contact screen and wanted it to be disabled. It's up to you, this is more aesthetics.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
    Method:CRM
  • 09-11-2015 11:41 AM In reply to

Spent a very frustrating hour and a half late Wednesday afternoon trying unsuccessfully to get this to work. This is probably the least-intuitive application I have ever used. There is also some trouble now with my account having switched from free trial status to paid, and my acct mgr is trying to figure that out. I'm not a very happy customer right now...

Please explain to me the relationship between the tables I have created for this function. Honestly, I can't even remember anymore how I executed some of this. I intended that CustomerCategory would be a field in the Customer table that would hold the info I wanted, (right now, one of five different descriptions for my donors). In order to enter that information via dropdown menu, I have ended up creating additional tables - CustomerCategory, CustomerCategoryValues, and CustomerCategoryValues2. Looking at how things are configured in classic/customize/tables&fields, this is what I see:

In the Customers table, CustomerCategory is listed as an existing field formatted as a dropdown.

In the CustomerCategory table, listed existing fields include CustomerCategory (text, unique) and CustomerCategoryValues2 (dropdown). unique) unique & required for table disabled because table has 4 records

In the CustomerCategoryValues table, there is only one field - CustomerCategoryValues (text, required, unique) unique) unique & required for table disabled because table has 5 records

In the CustomerCategoryValues2 table, only one field - CustomerCategoryValues2 (text, required, unique) unique & required for table disabled because table has 5 records

For the sake of clarity, I think I need to delete CustomerCategoryValues2.

• 09-11-2015 2:35 PM In reply to

Hey,

Let's start from the beginning.

The intial issue I want to bring up, there are no Save Actions on the 'View Contact' screen. Thus adding DropDown Field to the screen and choosing an option, backing out the Contact will not Save that option. For that reason I informed you to add the field to the 'Edit Entity(/Contact)' screen because it has the Save Actions to that screen.

Objective: We want to add a dropdown field to the View Contact screen that will display the CustomerCategories, and once chosen will save that option per Contact.

(1) We start by creating a new dropdown on the Customers table 'CustomerCategory'. Head over to the Customers Table and: 

*as you stated you may already have this dropdown on your Table

(2) Now let's customize the View Contact screen, I added a new row to the 'SectionLeftContact' section. Dragged the CustomerCategory field onto the section:

which on screen looks like:

(3) Now we want to be able to choose a Category for the Customer and once chosen it saves the Category to their record.

- Head back into the screen designer for the View Contact screen and let's add a Lose Focus event Action to the CustomerCategory field. 

This action will execute a Save All Sections as soon as you choose an option. In our current setup on the View Contact screen the only Field that can be modified is CustomerCategory.

Please read over this and follow up - As I may have incorrectly interpreted what you wanted to accomplish. If that is the case let me know and I can update my post.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 09-11-2015 2:50 PM In reply to

Method_Mortaza:

Objective: We want to add a dropdown field to the View Contact screen that will display the CustomerCategories, and once chosen will save that option per Contact.

Wrong. I only want to display the CustomerCategory field value (chosen either on the New Contact or Edit Contact) on the View Contact screen.

This is part of what is frustrating me so much. I have reiterated this in every clear way that I can think of, but you still don't seem to understand what I'm asking.

• 09-14-2015 4:45 PM In reply to

Can I expect a reply anytime soon?

• 09-18-2015 9:30 AM In reply to

Sorry for the wait, I was holding off waiting for a screen designer bug to be resolved. Which would of stop you from completing the task.

As per: https://www.method.me/cs/blogs/releasenotes/archive/2015/09/15/method-updates-sept-15-2015.aspx (Fixed issues with editing screen level events. (Ticket AS-1162)) it now has been resolved.

~

We can accomplish that using 'screen level events' - 

Now the Action within the Screen Load event will look like:

In conclusion, what is happening is: when View Contact first opens on Load execute 'Retrieve Value From Table' action and update a control on screen with that information. In my example I just had a TextInput contron on screen called 'UpdateMe' and I had a field on the Contacts table called Colours.

Give that a shot and let me know if you run into any problems.

-- Mortaza

Morty Barighzaai
    Customer Success Manager
  • 10-28-2015 3:33 PM In reply to

Trying to catch up again with some of this now. Isabella in my office will now also be working with me on Method.

Since the update is it now possible to edit the live version of a screen?

• 11-15-2016 12:12 PM In reply to

• Method_Jim
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-29-2014
    • Toronto, Method HQ
    • Posts 45

Following up on this post from a while back. There have been changes since this post.

If you want to access the data related to the screen's active record (eg., the Entity for the Contact on a View Contact screen), you will want your actions in the Focus or Active Record Change section of the screen's action sets. If you have those in the Load section, then the screen will not know the active record at that time and you will see no data.

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2