Method Community

Going 'live' with new account

Last post 10-05-2012 3:40 PM by Rolf. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2012 4:49 AM

• Rolf
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2011
    • Posts 109

Going 'live' with new account

Hi,

We’re in the process of finally going live with Method, and have a significant  number of highly customized screens and tables.  I understand the recommended way to do this is with  a new account and copying the customized screens to it.  I’ve played with that a bit, and am looking for some feedback on my current understanding of what happens under various situations, which is as follows:

1.When copying a screen, it appears Method also copies the table upon which it is based, as well as any dropdown  tables referenced in the screen. If the copy values box is checked for a given  table, it also copies all  the data as well.

2. My plan is to set all the dropdown tables to copy values, as well as a few reference  tables I have.  Then to copy my screens, starting with the ones that do not have dependencies, and then on to the bigger screens with grids referencing other tables.

Questions:

Is the order of copying screens relevant?

What happens if I forget to copy data with a table? Can I copy the relevant screen again with the data checkbox checked, and have it copy the data then? Or, could I delete the screen and or tables, and recopy?

If I do further customization in a second account, and then copy over new versions of existing screens, what does Method do if the underlying tables have changed between the two accounts? And what happens if there is now live data in the destination account?

Any feedback on what’s right and what’s wrong with the above will be greatly appreciated, as always.

Thanks,

Rolf

• 10-05-2012 10:13 AM In reply to

Re: Going 'live' with new account

Hi Rolf,

I'm just doing a little testing before I reply back to you on this.  I'll post my response shortly!

~C

• 10-05-2012 10:52 AM In reply to

Answer

Rolf:
    Is the order of copying screens relevant?

Not to my knowledge.

Rolf:
    What happens if I forget to copy data with a table?

This can cause problems on your screens so I highly recommend you ensure that all tables with data you need to bring over have the option to copy data checked.  I would put in extra work up front to make sure all tables have this option selected to save you pain later if data was missed.  If you did miss data you would have to use the import/export tool to fill it in - I wouldn't recommend trying to re-copy the screens and data again.

Rolf:
    Can I copy the relevant screen again with the data checkbox checked, and have it copy the data then?

I wouldn't recommend this - I don't think it'll copy the data if the table already exists - that seems to be a limitation here.  If you miss something on the first copy then use the import/export tool to bring the data in.

Rolf:
    If I do further customization in a second account, and then copy over new versions of existing screens, what does Method do if the underlying tables have changed between the two accounts?

While testing this I noticed that on the way back any new data entered does not come back over.  This is probably a limitation when the table already exists so copying with data should be a one time/one way process and not continually used to keep 2 accounts up to date.  Keeping the screens up to date this way is fine but the data shouldn't be done this way.  To keep the data in sync you'll want to use the import/export tool.

Rolf:
    And what happens if there is now live data in the destination account?

If the table exists then there is no updating or copying of new data into an existing table.

HPH

~C

• 10-05-2012 11:51 AM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2011
    • Posts 109

Hi Chad,

Thanks once again for the quick reply and helpful info. Of course this raises more questions.

If I have understood you correctly, a table is copied over (with without its data, depenciing on the data checkbox) only the first time.  Once that table exists, It is not subsequently copied, nor is any of its associated data.  Since tables are copied as part of screen copy actions, this makes total sense to me to only allow the one table/data copy, otherwise copying screens would always corrupt live system data.

This also allows the data copy checkboxes to remain in the desired state indefinately, I assume.

So, my question is, if I add,change, or delete fields in a table  in my original account, and then copy associated screens to my new account, will the new account table structure be updated by this change?   I am assuming not, and that I would need to edit the tables of the new account, but would like to hear your take on this.

Also, I forgot to ask previously, but am wondering about how to copy over my custom reports to the new account.

And finally, what is HPH?

lol,

Rolf

• 10-05-2012 12:20 PM In reply to

Rolf:
    This also allows the data copy checkboxes to remain in the desired state indefinately, I assume.

Definitely. When I had that option selected in account 1, after the copy, account 2 also had the option to copy data selected by default - it looks like the table settings are also copied over.

Rolf:
    if I add,change, or delete fields in a table in my original account, and then copy associated screens to my new account, will the new account table structure be updated by this change?

Just tested this and the table layout was definitely updated on way back - the data was not but my additional fields were!

Rolf:
    I am assuming not, and that I would need to edit the tables of the new account, but would like to hear your take on this.

I would have thought this too based on the data copy limitation but it definitely does update the table layout. This is good news if you needed to keep 2 accounts up to date (including table layout).

Rolf:
    but am wondering about how to copy over my custom reports to the new account.

I'll get back to you on this - I believe you just need to copy a screen that has the report but I'll verify.

Rolf:
    And finally, what is HPH?

edit: typo, should have been HTH = Hope This Helps!

~C

• 10-05-2012 12:32 PM In reply to

Method_Chad:
    I believe you just need to copy a screen that has that report but I'll verify.

Confirmed - when you copy a screen with a generate report action (with your custom report) then it'll come over in the copy.

~C

• 10-05-2012 3:40 PM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2011
    • Posts 109

Chad,

Thanks again for all your help on this. I have to admit I was somewhat hesitant at first to use this approach, thinking it would be hard to keep track of all the tables, ect.  However, after your input and doing some of my own testing, I have to say the Method team has done a great job of this process.

What I've found is if you make field changes in a table, the new fields are added to the destination account table on a subsequent screen copy, yet any deleted fields in the source table remain in the destination..  Also, if the destination table has no data, then if the data copy option is checked, it will indeed copy the data on subsequent copies of a screen which references the table.

So, it looks like this whole thing could go quite smoothly.

regards,

Rolf

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)