Method Community

Add ability for user to "Add New" item to Drop Down List

Last post 10-05-2012 4:02 PM by jpfiester. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2012 10:59 AM

Add ability for user to "Add New" item to Drop Down List

I have some drop down lists that reference custom tables for lookup values.

I'd like to add the ability for my users to have an "Add New" option in the drop down list

that will allow them to add a new option, such as done already in several of the stock drop down lists.

How might I go about this?  I suspect it has to do with adding Actions, but I can't find any detail information/

instructions on how to do it.

Thanks.

• 10-05-2012 11:48 AM In reply to

Re: Add ability for user to "Add New" item to Drop Down List

Answer

jpfiester:
    I'd like to add the ability for my users to have an "Add New" option in the drop down list

This is pretty easy but you'll want to make sure you have a screen setup to edit that table.  The quickest way to have this screen pre-built for you is to use the automatically create a new screen for this table option when you create a new table.  Now that you have your screen adding the <Add New> feature is simple.

1. In the screen designer, open the dropdown for editing and click next for step 2.
    2. Click the Event dropdown and select the option Add New.
    3. Select the action Show Screen In Pop Up and select the screen that was (hopefully) created for you above.

Post back if you have any problems implementing or questions on this.

~C

• 10-05-2012 2:32 PM In reply to

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed and it worked great.

• 10-05-2012 2:57 PM In reply to

jpfiester:
    Thanks. That's exactly what I needed and it worked great.

Another related tip for you here, if you wanted to add the ... that shows up on textbox fields then the event is called button click.  Add any action on the button click event and the ... is automagically added.

~C

• 10-05-2012 3:11 PM In reply to

I forgot to mention but you can combine the events of button click ... and <add new> in one field for added functionality, we've got a few of these on our stock pages like Invoices.

~C

• 10-05-2012 4:02 PM In reply to

Awesome! Got it.... Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)