Method Community

Creating a New Method Customer from an Outlook Contact

Last post 09-24-2010 7:15 PM by haident. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-21-2010 12:01 PM

• haident
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2010
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 43

Creating a New Method Customer from an Outlook Contact

The default behaviour is apparently to put the contact's name in to the Customer Name field, even if there is a company name in Outlook. There should be some logic to have the Customer Name be the Outlook contact's name only if the Outlook company name field is Null, otherwise the Customer Name should be the value from the Outlook company name field.

I am also seeing problems in the address from Outlook as follows:

New record form field     Value Being Poulated Now             Value that should be Populated

address1                        Outlook company name                 Outlook company name, or contact name if company is Null

address2                        Outlook Street, City, State             Outlook contact name, if not on address1, else street

address3                        Zip/Postal code                              Outlook street, if not on address2

City, state and Zip are OK

Country                          United States of America               Null, unless not United States of America (U.S. Verison of Plug-in)

How to handle additional address lines from Outlook (e.g. street2)?

Haiden W. Turner
    Winged Disc Technologies, LLC
    Dallas, Texas
  • 09-23-2010 11:17 AM In reply to

Re: Creating a New Method Customer from an Outlook Contact

Hey Haident,

I am looking into this and will post an update shortly, thanks for the feedback!

• 09-24-2010 4:24 PM In reply to

Hey Haident.

We have updated the Outlook Plug-in and updated the logic behind this portion of the Plug-in. Check out the link below to get the most up to date version.

http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/blogs/methodblog/pages/method-outlook-plug-in-2-0-v2-1-37-update.aspx

• 09-24-2010 7:06 PM In reply to

• haident
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2010
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 43

Thanks Ryan

I'll probaly wear you out on this, but:

It looks like if there is no middle initial in the OL contact, then you are putting the first name initial together with the last name initial into "M.I." field for the new customer record. (if there is a middle initial or name in the OL contact, then you are putting the first name initial together with the middle name initial into "M.I." field)

i.e. Haiden Turner - M.I. field value = H.T., Haiden W. Turner - M.I. value = H.W.

It would be nice to have the business phone and fax Phone from the OL contact go into the "Phone" and "Fax" inthe new customer record.

Also nice would be for the propagation of the data into Method/QB to mimic the QB UI. In QB as you fill the top portion of the customer record with the company name it is written to the address block as address1 (you are doing this), then as you fill the saluation, first name, MI, last name fields they are concatenated together as address2 (this is not happeniing presently, so if you want the address to have the contact's name you must manualy edit the address block)

Haiden W. Turner
    Dallas, Texas
  • 09-24-2010 7:15 PM In reply to

• haident
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2010
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 43

Oops, looks like I misspoke on the final item - you are putting the contact name on address2. Was this a change in the new version? I could swear it didin't work this this morning.

Haiden W. Turner
    Dallas, Texas
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)