Method Community

Import Export Server is Hung

Last post 03-07-2012 8:23 PM by jnoneiliv1. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-20-2010 8:57 AM

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Import Export Server is Hung

Attempting to launch the Import Export tool results in the server throwing error messages.  Started about 7 pm EST last night and continues this morning.  I waited to see if fatal errors would ping the admin, but based on other posts it appears this has gone undiscovered or could be just related to the Import Export sessions on my account.

I have been using account OKFoundry to export Items table and to Import Items.  Successfully exported 3000+ records, imported a test set of 30 records, and then server started to hang after import attempts of 2350 records.  Some routine errors on import like finding Hex values in file, lookup values missing, etc.

Current message from server.  This message has appeared several times.  There is another message related to the warning message system that also appears.

Server Error in '/MethodImpex' Application.

Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: column, row, rows, records. Line 66465, position 28.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: column, row, rows, records. Line 66465, position 28.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[XmlException: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: column, row, rows, records. Line 66465, position 28.]
       System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) +95
       System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnclosedElements() +354
       System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() +5088225
       System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r) +1053
       System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r, LoadOptions o) +75
       System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options) +350
       System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options) +62
       _Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +481
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +42
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +132
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +66
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2428

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4206; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 10-20-2010 1:51 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

Re: Import Export Server is Hung

Also, now this message.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 10-21-2010 12:54 PM In reply to

Hey jnoneiliv1,

We are currently looking into this and will post an update when we have more details.

• 10-21-2010 1:07 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

TX.

I'm sure you have a better way to diagnose, but my guess is that the import tool is hung on a couple of corrupt, or at least corrupt for the import tool files and the import temp file queue or import buffers just need to be reset or cleared.

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 10-21-2010 1:09 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

I think the import files should be clean going forward.  Even forcing Excel to use all Text data time, saving to a CSV file, and inspecting the file using notepad, the import tool was reporting some Hex value data improperly in the file.

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 10-24-2010 5:22 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

This is fixed, thanks.

This thread can be deleted as there isn't anything helpful for someone else, importing a large amount of records is just a bit tricky.

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 03-03-2012 1:38 PM In reply to

• Skye
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2012
    • Posts 12

This is happening to me now:

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. 

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

• 03-05-2012 8:36 AM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

Answer

Skye,

I'm just guessing you might be importing a large number of records when you get this error.

I'm not sure I mentioned it in my other postings, but I found that if I break down large import files into several smaller files I could get good results on import.  It's a bit tedious, but files with 200 to 300 records work much better than 1,000's.

I think that 1000's of records just hangs the web server in some fashion.  Overnite, I think it clears itself, but until then the error messages won't make much sense.  Once it's hung, nothing works properly.

This import tool works much better than the Quickbooks IIF tool from 6 years ago, so I think if you just stick with it you'll be able to get everything done.

Cheers,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 03-05-2012 6:38 PM In reply to

• Skye
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2012
    • Posts 12

:) Well it was under 1000, but I'll go even smaller and test ~ THANKS (ok, it wasn't THAT much under 1000 :P)

• 03-07-2012 8:23 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

Yeah, I think around 1,000 tended to bust.  I think 500 ran okay.  Curious what you find out.

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)