Method Community

Sending Emails from Multiple Users of Google Apps Gmail not working

Last post 06-27-2011 1:06 PM by Method_Valbon. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-06-2010 2:35 PM

Sending Emails from Multiple Users of Google Apps Gmail not working

Howdy,

My name is Brian Fisher. 

We are working on a trial version of Method Integration CRM and have run into a snag in setting up emails.  When setting up emails I have used our Google Apps info

email servier: smtp.gmail.com

username: brian@dvdcopycat.com

password: passwordxxxxxx 

Under Default Email Preferences setting in the customize tab.

However, when another employee sends an email through Method integration, the "from" email is alway my email - brian@dvdcopycat.com - since that is what is in the default email preferences.

Unfortunately, we cannot have all of our employees emails coming from me. 

Does anyone know how we can resolve this so each email is sent from the sender, not the default email preference.

Brian G Fisher
  • 12-06-2010 3:11 PM In reply to

Re: Sending Emails from Multiple Users of Google Apps Gmail not working

Hi Brian,

actually, this might work: http://lifehacker.com/111166/how-to-use-gmail-as-your-smtp-server

Try the solution explained in "Update 3"

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks!

Wayne

Wayne Barbaza
    Account Manager
    Method Integration
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 728
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: w.barbaza@methodintegration.com
  • 12-06-2010 7:13 PM In reply to

Hi Wayne.

No luck on this solution.  When anyone in the company sends an email through method integration, the "from" is always listed as me, brian@dvdcopycat.com.

Even when the "from" field is changed from the email. 

Do you have any examples of any of your clients who have succesfully accomplished this task?

Brian G Fisher
  • 12-06-2010 7:39 PM In reply to

Hi

Can you describe how and where (in method) you're sending the emails?  Which Screens?

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 12-06-2010 10:33 PM In reply to

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for trying to solve this one.

We are trying to write emails from the activities tab under opportunities under the sales center.  We create a sales opportunity, then create activities under those opportunities and finally want to send emails from that activity to our potential clients.

Brian G Fisher
  • 12-07-2010 8:33 AM In reply to

Answer

Brian,

I have had some experience with Gmail and one thing I have learned is that they don't want users using their SMTP as a sending device for bulk emails.  In our office, we use Exchange which allows you to send emails from a "From" address that isn't your direct login.  Most SMTP providers allow you to do this as it is a pretty standard need.  If you do a Google search, you'll see this is a very common problem with Gmail so it actually is something you'll run into regardless of the platform you decide to use.  Sad

The good news is, I was able to find an article that talks about a way you CAN use Gmail to send email from multiple addresses from one SMTP login.  I've tested this and it works fine.  You'll just need to make sure that you update Gmail to list each email address you intend on sending email from using this address.  

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4857

The one drawback is in the "From" address WILL work using the users address vs. the system SMTP setting, however, the address will also say "yourgmailaddress@gmail.com on behalf of yourusersemail@yourdomain.com".  

If receiver of the email hits "reply", it will reply back to your users domain email address vs. the Gmail address which is exactly what you want.Stick out tongue

From what I see, there is no way to get around the "behalf" in the "From" but again, this is a limitation of using Gmail as your SMTP.

One final suggestion I would make is to perhaps create a Gmail account for this purpose of sending out your SMTP email.  

Cheers,

Danny

• 12-08-2010 5:50 PM In reply to

Hi Danny,

It looks like that worked great.  We did not ever run into the "behalf" problem.

I just followed those directions and it worked perfectly.

Thanks very much for the Advice

Brian G Fisher
  • 12-09-2010 9:29 AM In reply to

Awesome.  Glad that worked for you.

- Danny

• 06-23-2011 12:39 PM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

I am also using Google Apps/Gmail for email hosting and Method SMTP, and while I am the only user right now, I'm glad the multiple user issue has been resolved.

When looking at the sent emails from within the Gmail platform, in the To: field it displays the yourname part of yourname@domain.com.  I would like to see either the full name from Method or the full email address.  Is this possible?

Thanks!
    Michael 

Michael J. Mehr, CPA.CITP
    michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 06-23-2011 12:51 PM In reply to

Hi Michael,

What screen are you sending emails from in Method? What you probably need to do is set a value for Email From Name:  on the Send Email action that is used on that screen.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 06-24-2011 8:29 PM In reply to

• m.mehr
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-01-2011
    • Henderson, NV
    • Posts 100

Hi Michael,

Emails were sent from stock Activity screen.  The problem is not the From name, it's the To name.  I believe the value is being set correctly in Method because the email actually gets sent.  But in the Gmail application, the To name displayed is only the yourname part of yourname@domain.com email address, not the full email address or the full Contact Name.  It appears that Gmail has a To Name that is shown in the inbox and when you open the email, and the full email address that is displayed when Show Details is clicked in the email header.

Any insights are appreciated!

Thanks,
    Michael 

Michael J. Mehr, CPA.CITP
    michael@mehrcpa.com
  • 06-27-2011 1:06 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi Michael,

I’ve tested this several ways and you’re right but I don’t think this is any kind of glitch. I used the stock Activity screen to send an email via one of the templates to ‘methodsample@domain.com’. I then went to view the ‘Sent Mail’ from Gmail web access and saw only To ‘methodsample’.  I tried sending the same email directly from Gmail web access and it displays the exact same way.

In Gmail go to Contacts and then view ‘Other Contacts’ and you will see that there is no display name set for this particular email address (other contact) so it just displays the email portion only. This is how Gmail seems to handle it.

Does this help?

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)