Method Community

What Permissions Are Needed for Outlook Integration?

Last post 12-15-2010 11:24 AM by Anonymous. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2010 8:37 AM

What Permissions Are Needed for Outlook Integration?

When I setup a new user, I add the option for all tables to be accessed that are needed for Outlook Integration.  However, it doesn't seem like I want these users to be able to Add or Edit fields.  Is it ok to uncheck the permissions for adding and editing fields if I want a user to be able to use Outlook Integration?  In other words, can I just grant them the ability to view these fields on the screen?

Also, just a suggestion to Method . . . it would be REALLY helpful to have a "check/uncheck all" option for setting user permissions (per column) so we don't have to go in and uncheck/check every single permission.

• 12-08-2010 10:10 AM In reply to

Re: What Permissions Are Needed for Outlook Integration?

Answer

Hi pdirect,

That is a great suggestion, and we will bring it up to our hard-working developers.

As per your question regarding permissions, in order for Outlook Integration to work, you need to give "Edit Fields" access to the following tables:

- Activity: (Note: This field requires both add and edit permissions)
    - Opportunity
    - Cases
    - Customer
    - Vendor
    - Contacts 

The remaining fields can be made read only. Geeked

Regards,
    Denis 

• 12-13-2010 8:21 AM In reply to

I guess I'm confused as to what these permissions actually do.  Does this allow them to just add and edit activities or does this allow them the ability to actually add new fields and edit field names for the activities form? 

If this just allows them to add activities, the term "add fields" is confusing because it sounds like they can add additional fields.  Using the more popular "read/write" would seem to make more sense.

• 12-15-2010 11:24 AM In reply to

Hi pdirect.

The permissions that you find under customize -> users -> Edit... -> Step 5 of 7: Access to Tables restrict access to modifying these tables and related fields under customize -> tables / fields. If on Step 4 of 7 the Tables / Fields checkbox is not selected, the user won't be able to modify those tables anyway. This does not prevent a user from adding, editing, or deleting existing items in a list such as activities, therefore the "read/write" option does not really apply. Out of the box, Method does not have a simple "read only" checkbox that applies to screens and related tables.

What you can do though, is use the Enable/Disable Field/Object  (disabled) action OnScreenLoad by going to Customize -> Screens -> Edit... -> Advanced... -> Step 2 of 5 - Actions, and apply this action to every field or object in a screen that you do not wish a user to be able to edit, or delete. You would also have to apply the same action to the Delete, Save, Save & New, Clear / New buttons so that users won't be able to delete or create new records. This will essentially replicate the functionality of making that screen's tables and related objects "read only".

Hope this helps,
    Denis

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)