Method Community

Limiting access and stopping full sync

Last post 01-31-2011 4:43 PM by RebeccaCA. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-07-2010 4:56 PM

• salson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-06-2010
    • Posts 5

Limiting access and stopping full sync

Hello,

What is the best way to limit access to Method by endusers? I have ~200 companies that I want to provide access to for a salesperson leaving the remaining companies unaccessable. Alternatively, is there a way to limit access by area code?

Also, if I only want Method to sync in one direction (ie end users can not make changes that affect Quickbooks) what is the best way to do this?

Best,

Scott

• 12-09-2010 1:25 PM In reply to

Re: Limiting access and stopping full sync

Answer

Hi Scott,

I wanted to address your question regarding limiting user access. Out-of-the-box Method provides you with the ability to limit user access at each level, in a hierarchical way:

> Role / Tab group
      - Tabs
        - Tab Links
          - Screens
            - Tables

In your particular example, you are dealing with the Estimate table, that contains your estimates. In order for a user who is logged in (such as a sales rep) to see only estimates pertaining to them, you would need a custom screen where you apply a filter on screen load to the estimates grid, and filter that based on sales rep that's logged in. 

In order for this filter to work and capture who the active user is, you must associate the user account(s) with an employee by going to Customize -> Users -> Edit... (step 1, bottom option), and use the "retrieve value from screen: user sales rep initial" action.

You would also need to apply filters to the Customer:Job drop-down to display only customers that pertain to that sales rep in your custom Estimate screen.

Should you require additional help with this, you may contact our customization expert Michael at m.melo@methodintegration.com. Please note, that customization of any kind, as well as the consulting on how to do this, is a chargeable service. 

For details please see here.

Regards,
    Denis

• 12-13-2010 1:05 PM In reply to

salson:

Also, if I only want Method to sync in one direction (ie end users can not make changes that affect Quickbooks) what is the best way to do this?

I neglected to answer your question above: Although you can't prevent Method from "syncing" over with QuickBooks, as that is an integral part of the Method sync engine, an option that Method does provide is the "Waiting for Sync Approval", which can be found on most transaction screens. If it isn't there you can always add it through customization. What this option does is essentially hold the changes within Method before they are sent over to QB.

Regards,
    Denis

• 12-16-2010 8:24 AM In reply to

• salson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-06-2010
    • Posts 5

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

Denis,

Is this a manual process or can we make it so every transaction is automatically checked? Basically we want Method to be one direction. The end users are not Quickbook users so we wouldn't want them to make a mistake and then have that mistake transferred over to Quickbooks.

Best,

Scott

• 12-16-2010 3:32 PM In reply to

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately for the time being this process is manual. However what may work for you is creating a copy of the screen you are working with, and go to customize -> screens and edit... that screen. Find the "wait for sync approval" object and on Step 1 find "Default value:"

Make sure that this checkbox is checked. All transactions entered through this screen will have this option enabled by default and not go over to Method. You can then create a role under "Tab groups / roles" that sees only these screens that have this option enabled by default.

What you also willl want to do is go back to the main customize screen, and under insert fields and objects click advanced... - in here go to Step 2 of 5: Actions and add an action called "enable/disable field/object" OnScreenLoad. While the previous step sets the "wait for sync approval" value as the default, this second step will "lock" that checkbox to that option, so that users using this screen cannot uncheck it.

The above takes a few more clicks, but should provide the functionality you are looking for.

Hope this helps,
    Denis

• 01-31-2011 3:32 PM In reply to

"What you also willl want to do is go back to the main customize screen, and under insert fields and objects click advanced... - in here go to Step 2 of 5: Actions and add an action called "enable/disable field/object" OnScreenLoad. While the previous step sets the "wait for sync approval" value as the default, this second step will "lock" that checkbox to that option, so that users using this screen cannot uncheck it."

Hi,

I don't see the  "insert fields and objects" option under the main customize screen.  Please direct me.

Thank you!!!

• 01-31-2011 4:13 PM In reply to

Hi RebeccaCA,

Clicking the Advanced button in the Screen editor will take you to where you have the option to set actions for the OnScreenLoad event. What I would suggest though is editing the Checkbox itself setting the default value as checked and then under Advanced Options, check Hidden: invisible when screen first loads this way it will always be checked but hidden from the user so it cannot be unchecked.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 01-31-2011 4:43 PM In reply to

Thanks, that cleared the issue up for me completely Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)