Method Community

Error when sending Email through Method using Activity screen "Send an Email"

Last post 11-01-2011 4:52 PM by handcrafted. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-22-2010 4:57 PM

Error when sending Email through Method using Activity screen "Send an Email"

Hi,

we are currently running Exchange server 2007. I know my mail server settings, username and passworrd are correct in the default settings in method. I have had to enter this info for other softwares and had no issues.

Unfortunately I continue to get an error - "Error^Action Sequence:32. Error with connecting server;current server: mail.icleanpools.com;connect failed, error: 0x0000274c"

We want to use our own mail server rather than having to use Gmail. I read another post that was similar to mine but it talked about opening ports etc. I shouldn't have to do that.

Any ideas? I am in a trial right now and am considering buying your product but am at a stand still.

Thanks

Bryan Hand
    Owner
    Hand Crafted Pool Care, Inc.
  • 12-23-2010 8:29 AM In reply to

Re: Error when sending Email through Method using Activity screen "Send an Email"

Answer

Hi handcrafted,

Method is capable of working with Microsoft Exchange setups, we in fact use it as well internally. However, I suggest you look into a) whether or not the "Use SSL" checkbox is checked and b) whether your mail administrator has explicitly specified IPs and ports allowed to send mail from outside sources. At present, Method works with the default Exchange settiings, howerver does not provide the ability to specify alternate IPs and ports.

Hope this helps,

Denis

• 12-23-2010 10:25 AM In reply to

Re: Error when sending Email through Method using Activity screen "Send an Email"

Hi Denis,

thank you for the quick response.

So, you are saying that method works with default exchange settings, so that means as long as the correct mail server, username and password are entered, then it should connect. Problem is it does not. (And yes, we do require SSL and I have that turned on.)

So, that tells me that I would need to open a specific port to allow method in. Is there a certain port you recommend?

Thanks

Bryan Hand
    Owner
  • 12-23-2010 12:22 PM In reply to

Denis,

after doing more research on the exchange server end, I did find out that the default settings for exchange server 2007 will NOT allow for relaying email from third party apps.

Therefore, I have to configure it to allow your software to relay email. In doing this, we need to lock it down to a specific IP address or a block of addresses that you will be using.

Can you please provide me an IP address block that it will possibly be coming from?

Thank you.

Bryan Hand
    Owner
  • 12-23-2010 2:01 PM In reply to

Hi handcrafted,

The IP range that Method uses are in the range 72.32.228.2** as the IPs below (which are our 3 servers).

Web1: 72.32.228.236
    Web2: 72.32.228.237
    Web3: 72.32.228.234

If this does not work, you can also try the IP address 67.192.223.114. Please note that our default port is 465, which is the standard common industry port for SMTP over SSL.

Regards,
    Denis
  • 12-23-2010 3:18 PM In reply to

Just wanted to add some notes regarding setting up Email and Method.

As we have numerous clients with Exchange, we have a very simple model for integration with Exchange. As per the diagram attached, Method simply tries to send mail to your Exchange server using basic authentication settings. If your Exchange box is configured as a closed relay (where only certain IP addresses are allowed to connect to it), you have to allow these IP addresses in Exchange to accept a request to send mail from Method. Otherwise, Method simply tries to log into your mail server with your authentication settings.

Please note, that although we would love to help each individual case of setting up of Exchange, because there are numerous ways of setting up Exchange (sometimes in complex, Active Directory environments), we do not provide support on the configuration of Exchange servers. Here, the onus is on your end to configure your Exchange server to accept a Method SMTP connection.

Denis

• 12-24-2010 11:18 AM In reply to

Thank you Denis.

I will take this back to my IT dept and discuss. We probably wont get to this until after Christmas. I will let you know how it turns out.

By the way, do you happen to know of anyone running exchange server 2007 that would be willing to communicate with me so I can possibly see how they set it up on their end? Just a thought.

Merry Christmas!

Bryan Hand
    Owner
  • 12-24-2010 12:01 PM In reply to

Happy Holidays!

Unfortunately we do not know who precisely uses Exchange 2007 with our software as all Method does is store some SMTP authentication settings. But we welcome any kind souls out there who come across this post to share information regarding setting up Exchange and Method.

Regards,
    Denis

• 11-01-2011 4:52 PM In reply to

Hey everyone,

just wanted to update you on this topic. We recently switch ISP's and decided to tackle this issue again becasue we really wanted to use our exchange server to send out emails.

After many trials, we figured it out. In the exchange console, you have to create a receive connector (which we called Method) and designate which IP addresses Method will be sending from (Method IP address list is above in a previous post) As far as authenticaton, we did not require one, so all we have to do is type in the server address and turn SSL off and it now works.

Hopefully all of this trial and error on our part will assist someone in the future using Exchange server to relay emails from method.

Have a good one!

Bryan Hand
    Owner
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)