Method Community

Will there be a Report Designer update?

Last post 03-29-2011 7:29 PM by Method_Paul. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2011 6:00 PM

Will there be a Report Designer update?

I read a post dated 2009 about a possible update to Report Designer 9.

After many hours of trying to customize a report, I've discovered that there is no way to put HTML into reports. The post I read confirms this, but mentions the capability in RD9.

I'm trying to create a highly customized, detailed and attractive estimate template for my customers. I would really like to use HTML, which Method is already capable of. Unfortunately I will have to use a few work-arounds I've discovered and simplify my estimates as the current Report Designer can not handle what I want to do.

Is there a RD9 release planned, or at least a beta I could try?

Thanks.

• 01-27-2011 6:13 PM In reply to

Re: Will there be a Report Designer update?

I'll answer to this.

There is no way to put HTML into the current report designer.  I have been down the same path as you, and know your frustration. 

I have put HTML into a "lab version" and it works beautifully. 

Unfortunately, the lab version won't be able to go out until we do an overall component upgrade, which one of our developers has been working on since late November.  Unless he has any last major roadblocks his work should roll out into the end of February's release - at which point we can take the updated report designer out of the labs.

So you are about 4-5 weeks off.  I would say this is a pretty reliable estimate - however, don't hold me to this as in the world of software development you never really know, and we are notorious for being over optimistic.

Paul

• 01-27-2011 7:15 PM In reply to

Ok that's great news!

I won't be doing actual estimates until March, but I would like to be capable ahead of time. HTML will definately make the estimates look more professional and polished.

• 01-27-2011 8:08 PM In reply to

Paul

This is really great news!Geeked

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 02-24-2011 6:10 PM In reply to

Any update on the update?Big Smile

• 02-24-2011 6:29 PM In reply to

We're still on course, but I think we're a few days later than we'd have liked.  The plan is that we're getting the "release candiate" internally on Monday next week.  My guess is that we'll like be beating it up further for a week and a half before it would go out to you.  My best educated guess would be Thursday, March 10th......but please don't take my word for it. It could come out sooner or later than that depending on what last minute issues we find or don't find.

Paul

• 02-24-2011 6:46 PM In reply to

Is there any way I could "beta test" the new report designer? I'm looking to do some quotes the first week of March, and the HTML features will be almost essential for what I am doing. I understand if there are any underlying issues as to why I couldn't, but if I can I'd be willing to share some of what I learn with it.

Thanks!

• 02-24-2011 8:55 PM In reply to

That's going to be very hard.  First of all, in order to do that we'd have to convert your templates to a new format, which would make them unreadable on the regular non-beta site.  Secondly, our test environment is internal, and not available to the outside world.  Unless you want to come setup shop in Toronto, it's not something we'll be able to accomodate! :)

Paul

• 03-14-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

Sorry to keep asking, but do you have an updated release date for the report designer? Thanks!

• 03-16-2011 2:42 PM In reply to

Answer

Spascapes - sorry, I don't.  As soon as the last kinks are worked out the update will go out.  We are as eager as you are!

Paul

• 03-29-2011 4:28 PM In reply to

Excited to try out the new designer!! I'll be playing with it tonight!!

Back to my original question about HTML - is there anything I will have to do to insert HTML from an item description, or will the designer automatically recognize it?

Thanks Paul!!

Greg

• 03-29-2011 7:29 PM In reply to

Hi Greg -

Here's a copy and paste from the other post from today, hopefully it's enough to get you going:

If you open the report designer, it should now download the latest version automatically.

To use the HTML option:

1. Drag an RTF object from the left onto your screen.

2. Go to the Properties window on the right hand side.

3. Find find Data Bindings > Html > Binding.

4. Select the field that contains HTML.

5. Preview. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)