Method Community

New Vendor Section Problem

Last post 03-24-2011 8:40 AM by Method_Michael. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2011 10:02 AM

• Geekoid
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 420

New Vendor Section Problem

I'm trying to create a new section for vendors similar to Activities called Bids. I've created a new table for Bids but I can't replicate what the Activities table shows, which is a text field called ActivityCompanyName Linked Via the Entity table. How can I create a text field in my bid table that is linked to the Vendor table or is this not possible?

Currently, I can only create a Dropdown field linked to the Vendor or Entity table, but it only pulls in a list of Record IDs in my New Bid screen.

I would like to be able to create multiple bids for Vendors in a new screen that I created where the Vendor name is retrieved from the Vendor record that I'm already in or be able to create a new one. I'm having the hardest time doing this as I can't replicate what the New Activity screen is doing. Are there step by step instructions for this? Or is this just not possible?

Brett
    Go Get Geek!

• 02-19-2011 4:33 PM In reply to

• Geekoid
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 420

Re: New Vendor Section Problem

Ok, I think I found the problem with method. When I choose FullName for the 1st column for the dropdown for my Vendor, after I publish and save and test the screen, it shows only the RecordID. And if go back and edit this screen, it shows RecordID for the 1st column; it doesn't save my selection to display FullName only. I can only force this to work if I put RecordID in the 1st column and FullName in the 2nd column, which I really don't want.

Sad

Vendor Dropdown Problem

Brett
    Go Get Geek!

• 02-19-2011 4:38 PM In reply to

Geekoid - I think I've seen this before.  FullName should have unique values.  Any chance there are duplicate values in the Fullname field? 

You might have two customers or vendors with the same name, or two blank entries.

If you want me to check into it, PM me your Company Account and have your MethodSupport turned on.  Probably a quick fix if I go.

Paul

• 02-19-2011 5:47 PM In reply to

Answer

Brett -

You're good to go. 

It wasn't the problem I thought it was.  It was simply that when you created the dropdown you selected "RecordID" as the display field instead of "FullName". This was in the original Tables/Fields setup, long before you got to designing your Bids screen.   So in the future, be super careful when creating your dropdown fields.

There's unfortunately no UI to change this, and it was a bit of a pain to modify behind the scenes.  Looks like in the future we'll have to make that easier. 

Design away!

Paul

• 02-19-2011 6:15 PM In reply to

• Geekoid
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 420

Thanks Paul...especially on the weekend ~ awesome support!

Now, when I see that screen again creating a dropdown that you had mentioned, I will know exactly what it means.

Geeked

Brett
    Go Get Geek!

• 03-21-2011 6:27 PM In reply to

• Geekoid
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 420

I'm having this same problem again. I think this is related to how I am creating this field. I am adding a new dropdown field to an existing table and then in the dropdown wizard I am choosing Create a new Table. Then, I am importing the choices for this table from a text file.

I don't see anywhere the option for a display choice. Can you help me out here? I don't want to have the RecordID shown in this dropdown.

Dropdown Problem

Brett
    Go Get Geek!

• 03-22-2011 9:54 AM In reply to

Hi Brett,

In order to use a field for the 1st Column it has to be set to unique in the table. If you edit the table you created you can check the Unique? box for that field.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 03-22-2011 11:34 AM In reply to

• Geekoid
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 420

The field is unique as a text field in its own table, but it's added as a Dropdown field in another table, which is linked to transactions:

Unique not available for Dropdown fields.

Brett
    Go Get Geek!

• 03-23-2011 8:32 AM In reply to

Brett,

I tried the following:

1. Created a new table called GeekoidTest and added a text field called ChildCode and checked the unique box.
    2. I edited the InvoiceLine table and added ChildCode as a drop down using the GeekoidTest table.
    3. I edited the InvoiceLine grid on an Invoice screen and added the ChildCode drop down to the grid.
    4. I was able to set the 1st column to be either ChildCode or RecordID

Is there more or less the steps you are taking?

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 03-23-2011 11:11 AM In reply to

• Geekoid
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • Posts 420

Michael,

Your missing one important part. ChildCode is also a dropdown field in the table Children. Strangley enough, I added a field to the SalesReceiptLine that is called Child, which is from where I am selecting ChildCode in the SalesReceiptLine grid in the SR screen; however, when I look at the SalesReceiptLine table, I cannot delete that field to try and recreate this. Shouldn't I be able to delete any new field that I add to a table.

It is here that when I edit the dropdown for ChildCode in the grid that my only choice for the 1st column is RecordID. And btw, you cannot make a dropdown field unique; is that is what is causing this problem?

Brett
    Go Get Geek!

• 03-24-2011 8:40 AM In reply to

Hi Brett,

Let me look into this issue further and get back to you.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)