Method Community

Printing

Last post 05-28-2009 9:31 PM by Lane. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-19-2009 3:54 PM

Printing

How can you print from Method?  I want to create a print button.

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 01-20-2009 10:56 AM In reply to

Re: Printing

Hi there,

There’s actually a few ways to print in Method, but there is no such thing as a Send to Printer action. On the flip side, here are some ways that you can print something from Method.  If you’re looking at printing a report, then you can create a Print Preview button that opens another screen with the report object on it.  Since reports are created as PDFs they’ll have a built-in print icon and you can print the report from there.   We do this in Method already so I recommend looking at the actions on the Invoice screen’s Print Preview button and the Invoice_PrintPreview screen for some ideas on doing it this way.

If you’re looking at printing grid details, check out the actions for grids, specifically Export Grid to Excel, Export Grid to PDF, or Export Grid to RTF.  You can send the grid’s contents to another program and then print. 

If you’re looking at printing a specific page from Method, you can also print the page directly from your web browser.  If you’re using Internet Explorer, you would simply click the printer icon on the browser’s toolbar or press (Ctrl +P). Problem with this is that the browser’s headers and toolbars will print also and it may not capture all the data on that screen, so you're probably better off trying the first two ways of printing first.

Hope this helps!

• 05-18-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

Wow, I'm confused. 

It is possible to acces Quickbooks and complete Purchase Orders and Customer Sales Receipts. Okay, but how do I communicate this information to Customers and Suppliers?

I undestand there is a print preview button in Invoices, but cannot find it in Sales Receipts or Purchase Orders. Nor can I figure how one customises these forms to include a Print Preview Button.

Help would be much appreciated!

Colin

• 05-18-2009 2:29 PM In reply to

Hi Colin,

If we break things down, we see you’re already half way there. You already understand what you need and now I’m just here to help get you started. The beauty of Method is our users such as yourself can continue to quickly customize any screen (new or existing) and choose to make changes such as generating reports for printing. Why don’t we start with the Print Preview button for Invoices which you’re already familiar with.

Look at the actions of the Print Preview button from the Invoice screen and duplicate this. Try taking the same approach for the Purchase Order and SalesReceipt screens to add a Print Preview button and customize a report of your own. I’ve included a link to a previous blog post 3 steps to becoming a report guru which has a series of short videos on this topic.

Hope that helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 05-19-2009 2:48 AM In reply to

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I suppose your advice will help.

However, if it is so easy to do the job as you say, I wonder why "Method" has not made the effort to provide this integral part of any computer program ... Output ... to every 'Screen' instead of requiring its customers to go jump through these unnecessary hoops!

Personally, I have no desire to become a "Print Guru" ... Call me selfish, but I just want the form content printed out without any hassle.

Hope this helps.

• 05-27-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

• Lane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Posts 2

I'm trying to use the Print Preview button on an invoice.  When I click on it, I can see that circular icon, but a Print Preview window does not open.  What am I missing?

Thanks!

Lane

• 05-28-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

Hello Lane,

I have just tested this out on my end, it seems to work correctly. A few questions that will help us with a solution;

What Web Browser are you currently using? Have you done any customizing on this screens? Have you tried "Print Preview" on any other screen?

Once I have this information I can dig furthur into this for you.

• 05-28-2009 9:31 PM In reply to

• Lane
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-27-2009
    • Posts 2

I found the solution ... easy ... allow pop-up blockers!

Lane

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)