Method Community

Was Method given a shot in the arm?

Last post 03-29-2011 6:29 PM by Method_Paul. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-29-2011 1:02 AM

Was Method given a shot in the arm?

Good Morning,

I started using Method yesterday and the speed was simply incredible. It was so fast! I dont know if it was Firefox's new update or what but the speed was really impressive.  When i used my Verizion wireless USB modem there was a improvement as well. Great to see!

Take care, John M

• 03-29-2011 7:46 AM In reply to

Re: Was Method given a shot in the arm?

Answer

John M - no shots in the arm - yet.

When you use Method more often, it stays fast since the pages stay "warm".  If you only hit Method occasionally, it has to load more libraries again from scratch.  So, I'm not sure if maybe before you weren't getting in every day.

We also had to replace a key hardware component on the servers on Sunday night / early Monday morning (see Danny's twitter post on www.twitter.com/followmethod).  That might have helped.

We are constantly tweaking and improving the back-end of Method.  So each month it becomes faster, stronger and smarter than the previous month.  But this month's big update hasn't come out yet! That's planned for later today. 

FireFox 4 - we use *a lot* of javascript.  FireFox 4 has an improved javascript engine, so, yes, that could have a lot to do with it. 

In fact, today's update is a big one because it announces compatibility for other browsers with improved javascript engines, such as Internet Explorer 9, Google Chrome and Safari.  So, after the initial download of new libraries today, you should see Method get some further performance shots in the arm. :)

Paul

• 03-29-2011 10:51 AM In reply to

Will this update include the report designer?

• 03-29-2011 11:04 AM In reply to

Yes, it's all part of the same update.

Paul

• 03-29-2011 11:13 AM In reply to

Perfect!! I was working on a report template today, but I will wait. Will the report designer look the same, just with added features?

• 03-29-2011 6:29 PM In reply to

Yes - it's similar. There are some minor interface improvements, but the big one is the ability to show HTML in a label.

If you open the report designer, it should now download the latest version automatically.

To use the HTML option:

1. Drag an RTF object from the left onto your screen.

2. Go to the Properties window on the right hand side.

3. Find find Data Bindings > Html > Binding.

4. Select the field that contains HTML.

5. Preview. 

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)