Method Community

Greyed out fields

Last post 05-15-2009 12:57 PM by Wavetec. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-09-2009 12:05 PM

Greyed out fields

The following question was sent to us via email.  I'm responding here on the forum so other members of the Method Community can benefit from the answer as well.

A user asks:

"How are fields in tables edited?  They are all greyed out."

Fields are edited by clicking Customize > Tables/Fields and then selecting the appropriate table containing the field you wish to edit.  Please bear in mind that when I say "editing", I am referring to either changing the field's required status, unique status and/or size.  All other "editing" capabilites require you to create a new field altogether. 

If you are wishing to edit a greyed out field, there's additional limitations preventing you from doing so.  Reasons for this are either it's a core accounting field from QuickBooks, or it's in a table that doesn't exist in QuickBooks and was created for Method to be able to function properly.  Two such tables are the Item and Transaction tables.  These tables do not exist in QuickBooks and were created for Method.  These tables are actually a mix of several other tables (many that do exist in QuickBooks) and are combined for easier use in assigning actions, etc.  If you want to add a field to the Item table, you would simply add the field to any one of the tables that make up the Item table, for instance the ItemInventory table and the field will appear in the Item table and all other fields that make up the Item table. 

Hope this helps!

• 05-14-2009 7:54 PM In reply to

Why can't I edit a table I created?  I created a "drop down" list of error codes.  Now I have to edit that list or add to it and you're saying I have to recreate it! There must be another way.

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 05-14-2009 8:04 PM In reply to

Greg -

That doesn't sound right to me.  If you created your own table and your own fields they shouldn't be disabled.

What was the exact name of the table and the exact name of the field?  I'm wondering if perhaps you stumbled upon a "reserved" field or table name.

Paul

• 05-14-2009 8:12 PM In reply to

Or am I misreading your post - since you replied to a post about grey out fields, I may have not understood the question?

Are you asking how to edit a table of dropdown list values?  If so, you need to have a screen to edit those values. By default a screen should be created for you when you make a dropdown list, but if you don't have that screen, you can very easily create it.  All you really need is a grid on the screen that supports edit and new. 

Paul 

• 05-15-2009 12:57 PM In reply to

Got it.  That's how I thought it worked but I couldn't get it to show up.  I had to log out and log back into Method and it showed up.  Unfortunately, I have been replacing my drop down lists when I needed to change something, now I know.

thanks,

Thank you,
    Wavetec
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)