Method Community

Time Tracking Screen

Last post 04-21-2011 12:14 PM by Method_Michael. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-17-2009 7:22 PM

• fran
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-08-2009
    • Mountain View
    • Posts 453

Time Tracking Screen

Two questions:   I wanted to post that  on the Time Tracking Screen…on the Employee Center….It seems like ”Name” is not employee name but EntityRef.  This makes the dropdown for this list on the screen show all account names, employees,etc.      I was able to go  to the customization screen  and take off the “required” tag for this field and replaced it with “fullname” .   But  I couldn’t make “fullname”  field  a dropdown…   And on the Employee List, I could not add a new employee at first.  I finally was able to add a new employee by adding a field called “fullname” otherwise I would not be able to edit that screen….and it synced with QB…yea!.   Am I missing something or is Name on the Employee screen supposed to show all names in QB. ?  And why couldn't I  get "fullname" in the EmployeeList be a dropdown...

Thanks,

Fran

Fran Reed
    FreedUp Solutions
    Intuit Solution Provider
    Advanced Certified Quickbooks ProAdvisor
    Advanced Method Solution Provider
  • 02-18-2009 1:06 PM In reply to

Re: Time Tracking Screen

Hi there, Fran!

Yes, the Name field on the Time Tracking screen is the Entity field in the TimeTracking table.  That table is pulled directly from the QuickBooks SDK and therefore we can not change it.  So currently the Name field on the Time Tracking screen is pulling ALL names in QuickBooks.  In the very near future you will have the ability to filter dropdowns, so then you’d be able to filter the dropdown by entity type and avoid seeing other choices that are not employees.  That should be out very soon!

As for the dropdown on the Employee List screen, I’m not having any trouble adding a new employee.  You’d simply click the Clear/New button and then click the Mr./Ms./... field to begin entering the data for the new employee.  The Information for: field is purposely read only.  It will populate once you’ve entered a name in for the employee, save the record and return to it. 

As for FullName not being a dropdown, that’s because the field in the Employee table is a ‘text’ field.  If you wanted to, you could always add a new FullName field to the Employee table as a dropdown, but I don’t think you’d need to if you are able to enter new employees as I mentioned in the previous paragraph.  Another way of creating a dropdown is to add one as an object from the toolbox and then relate it to the appropriate field/table.  Try adding a dropdown object and going through the Dropdown Properties Wizard by clicking “Edit” in the upper, right-hand corner of the object in the screen designer. 

Let me know how this works for you.

• 04-21-2011 11:02 AM In reply to

I'm brand new to Method and am trying to muddle through customizing some screens (not nearly as easy as advertized unless you know what you're doing, by the way). I came across the same issue regarding the Name field and found this post from 2 years ago. You mentioned that we'd be able to filter dropdowns by entity type (in this case), but I'm either missing something or this never came to fruition. I don't see anything in the editing that would allow me to filter the dropdown results. And as a general question, why don't we have the ability to change the table the Name dropdown is pulling from? This is Time Tracking - why wouldn't the "Name" field just be pulling from the Employee table? Any help?

• 04-21-2011 12:14 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi jnonick,

When editing a drop down list step 5 of 5 contains the options to filter the drop down.

Time can be tracked for both Employees and Vendors if you take a look at the Timesheet screen in QuickBooks you will see both Vendors and Employees listed for Name, we mimic how QuickBooks stores its records so that we can ensure a tight-knit integration. The reason why the table can’t be changed is that Name field is a linked field that references Fullname in the Entity table.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)