Method Community

Field Service Table

Last post 03-12-2009 8:56 AM by Anonymous. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-09-2009 7:49 PM

• jallen
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-10-2009
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 49

Field Service Table

I want to add fields into the add / new sceen for Field Service.  How do I add fields from the customer table into this screen?

John 

• 03-10-2009 3:56 PM In reply to

Re: Field Service Table

Hi John,

To give you a full response I’ll need some more info on what you’re doing. Generally when adding fields to a screen you’ll find the field either already exists in the table at which point you can just drag the field onto the screen (in design mode) from the toolbox. Or the field doesn’t exist and you’ll have to add it to the table first.

If I understand your question correctly, to add fields from the customer table to one of your Field Service screens that is based on a different table, you'll need to use the ‘Add a Linked Field’ option when you add the field. This should make it available on the screen.

Hope that helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-10-2009 4:46 PM In reply to

• jallen
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-10-2009
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 49

OK... I'm not having any success with this.  For Example:

I've created 2 fields under the customer table: CustomerNTE and VendorNTE.  I've tried to select the "Add a Linked Field", but it did not give me the option to select the above fields.

I'm confused and need my hand held!

• 03-11-2009 4:56 PM In reply to

John,

There’s no need for hand-holding because with a little practice you’ll soon be a pro…besides you’re halfway there. You’ve added both the fields ‘CustomerNTE’ and ‘VendorNTE’ to the Customer table now all you need to do is find the right association between the tables or go ahead and create an association/relationship.

Here’s an example, to add the new fields to the ‘FieldService_WorkOrderList’ screen you would:

1. Determine the table the ‘FieldService_WorkOrderList’ screen is built on, in this case it is the Activity Table.
    2. Go to the Activity table and see if there is an existing relationship between this table and the Customer Table. To do this, use the ‘Add a Linked Field’ option.  In this example you will see ‘EntityRef’ links the Customer Table to this table, allowing you to create fields in the Activity table that are linked from the Customer table.
    3. If there is no existing relationship you can always create one. Dropdown fields are used to add associations between tables, so to do this simply add a dropdown field that references the table you wish to link.

It sounds complicated but I’m pretty confident you’ll find the answer. If not we’re always around for you.

Hope that helps,

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-11-2009 6:48 PM In reply to

• jallen
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-10-2009
    • Atlanta, GA
    • Posts 49

It worked! :)

I think what would realy help is if you had a table overview with relationship.  In the old days, MS Access had a view that showed all the tables with relationship points.  Do you have anything like that, that you can share?

Thanks,

John

• 03-12-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion!  While our primary concerns are getting the industry-specific apps out ASAP, we are also working hard at making Method faster and more user-friendly.  I'm happy to submit your idea to see about making the table relationships more obvious!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)