Method Community

Text Near Text Box on the screen.

Last post 06-05-2009 3:58 PM by Method_Paul. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-15-2009 1:20 PM

Text Near Text Box on the screen.

I was wondering if there was a way to move the text over to be next to the text box on a new screen.  For example, I have 4 items I want accross the top of the screen.  I divide the screen into 4 spaces.  It looks like:

Name                 Textbox  Date                      Textbox  Report#                     Textbox  Acct#                   Textbox

It would be nice if it was:

Name  Textbox                 Date  Textbox                      Report#  Textbox                     Acct#   Textbox

but I can't seem to be able to do that.

Any Ideas?

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 05-15-2009 3:24 PM In reply to

Re: Text Near Text Box on the screen.

Hi Greg,

Currently there is no way to make the space between the text and the textbox smaller.  However, this is a feature we would definitely consider for future updates.  I’ll keep you posted if it becomes available. Thank you very much for the feedback!

-Amanda

• 05-20-2009 4:00 PM In reply to

Hi Greg,

There is an alternative that you can use in the meanwhile that allows the text to be closer to the textbox.  In this case you can choose the option of placing the caption on top of the text box.  You can make this change under the textbox properties in the customize screen.  It would look like:

Text               Text               Text               Text
    Textbox         Textbox        Textbox         Textbox           

Let me know if this works for you.

• 05-24-2009 9:30 AM In reply to

I'll throw an extra trick into the mix.  I just had a design issue myself, similar to this, as I was working on something that had text boxes lined up to each other, just like you Greg.

What I wanted to do was create some padding between the 1st and 2nd text box.

So here is what I did.  The 2nd text box was originally named "Account Number".  I renamed it to "        Account Number".  This moved the "Account Number" to start 8 spaces over to the right.  In case it is hard to see on this post, it is " " + 7 spaces + "Account Number".

Why does this work?

Well, we do an auto left and right trim to remove space, so if you put in "       Account Number" Method saves it as "Account Number".  The " " is just regular old HTML for "non breaking space", which is the equivelant of a space.  This tricks Method to not trimming the text, and gives the padding I wanted. 

I would have posted this sooner, I just stumbled upon this solution myself today.  Hopefully that helps,

Paul

• 06-05-2009 2:17 PM In reply to

Paul, this totally works.  thank you so much for posting this.  my screens look soooo much nicer now.

thanks,

Wavetec

Thank you,
    Wavetec
  • 06-05-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

Excellent!  So glad to hear this.   I find myself using this trick a lot now myself when designing screens in Method, and it really does make a difference.

Glad to be of help.

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)