Method Community

Can Customer Portal be disabled entirely?

Last post 11-14-2012 8:29 AM by Method_Adam. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-25-2011 4:24 PM

• Rolf
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2011
    • Posts 109

Can Customer Portal be disabled entirely?

Hi,

I was asked to repost the following emails for possible solutions in the forum:

Question

To: Wayne Barbaza
    Subject: Disabling Portal

Hi Wayne

Is there a way to completely disable the customer portal so that nobody from outside our office can log in to their account for any reason?    

I don’t want customers to be able to view cases, change their contact info, look at their account, or anything else.

Response

Hi Rick,

There is actually no way to turn it off completely via a switch.  In general if you have yet to provide them with an invoice or estimate email notification or a link to the portal, then simply ensure that you don’t use the email notification feature in the estimate or invoice screen.  Or you can change the email template to exclude the MIURL link.  However, I’m unsure of what you can do if you’ve already used this feature and now a customer has and may have saved a MIURL link.

The tech team will be able to suggest a clean way for you to disable the portal if the latter case above applies to you.  Can you please post this in our forum so that they can help you out? It may involve a slight customization which you can easily do.

• 11-28-2011 11:42 AM In reply to

Re: Can Customer Portal be disabled entirely?

Answer

Rolf-

You could create a blank tab and point the portal to that blank tab or even delete the portal (Not really recommended unless you are willing to re-setup all the defaults on the standard portal if down the road you decide to use portals).

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 11-12-2012 3:08 PM In reply to

Hello,

I was wondering if this had been changed and the portal can be disabled entirely.

I have a client who does not want to use it at all. He wants to send PDF invoices as he has done in the past from QuickBooks. 

I understand the why's of this, but he still does not want his customers receiving the link at all. I considered the blank tab - but would that not just make it look like something is broken? I have not tested it yet, but seems if we point to a blank tab - they will still get a link but instead of to an active page just to a blank one.

Thank you,

Annette

Annette Banks
    VARC Solutions
    906 Anna Lane
    Friendswood, TX 77546
    281-412-6914
    annette@varcsolutions.com
  • 11-12-2012 4:15 PM In reply to

Hi Annette,

There is no way to disable a portal.  Are the customers being sent emails with the portal link in them from Method?  If so, you could find the email template being used under the tab Home > Email Templates, and alter the template to remove the link to the portal.  The Invoice Notification template has such a link.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 11-13-2012 11:52 AM In reply to

VARC_Annette:

He wants to send PDF invoices as he has done in the past from QuickBooks. 

Annette - To add to this, you can send a traditional PDF along with the email through customization of the invoice screen.  I can walk you through the steps if you wish.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 11-13-2012 12:52 PM In reply to

To clarify - I mean I can point you in the right direction on how to do this kind of customization.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
  • 11-13-2012 1:19 PM In reply to

Thank you for the reply. I am trying out another solution that I think will work for this customer.

If this doesn't work - I will see if you can point me in the direction I need to go to attach a file to the email.

Thanks,

Annette

Annette Banks
    VARC Solutions
    906 Anna Lane
    Friendswood, TX 77546
    281-412-6914
  • 11-13-2012 5:18 PM In reply to

Adam,

He changed his mind. An attachment instead of a link will be fine.

Can you point me to the documentation on that please? Or, point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

Annette

Annette Banks
    VARC Solutions
    906 Anna Lane
    Friendswood, TX 77546
    281-412-6914
  • 11-14-2012 8:29 AM In reply to

Hi Annette,

Take a look at the actions on the Print Preview button of the invoice screen.  That generates a PDF of the invoice and saves to an action result.  Action results can be sent as attachments in Send Email actions.  If you put similar actions before the Send Email action on the Save & Email button, the action result should be available as an attachment.

I hope this puts you on the right path.

- Adam

Adam Lyons
    Manager of Support
    Method Integration
    a.lyons@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)