Method Community

Lookup Unit of Measure In Grid

Last post 12-31-2011 10:28 AM by Blake C. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-29-2011 5:15 PM

Lookup Unit of Measure In Grid

I want to add to the action that fires when an Item (most of my items come from ItemInventory) is selected for an Estimate/SalesOrder/Invoice line item.

What I want to do is have a particular item's Unit of Measure inserted on the line item.

It seems I need to do a lookup but I'm just not sure exactly what values I need and where they come from.

Anyone done this?

Thanks,

Blake C.

Blake C
  • 11-30-2011 9:41 AM In reply to

Re: Lookup Unit of Measure In Grid

Answer

Blake-

You would have to edit the Estimate/Sales Order/Invoice screen and edit the Text Changed Event on the Item from down on the grid.

You would probably only need to add 1 action Retrieve Value From table , (Retrieve UnitOfMeasure from Item table where FullName = Value from Screen Item) and then enter it into a field.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 11-30-2011 10:52 AM In reply to

Thx, the where clause really is what I was looking for...it just wasn't obvious to me for some reason.

I'll give it a shot.

Thx.

Blake C
  • 12-05-2011 3:41 PM In reply to

Answer

Thought I would share an update on getting UOM on my Estimate and SO line items working correctly...

When syncing with QB, Method was having a conflict trying to map 'By the bag' or 'By the gallon' UOM. It was trying to map and sync the UOM on an Item using these phrases rather than the 'bag' or 'gallon' abbreviations.

I had to do a lookup of the UnitofMeasureSet_RecID for the line item, then get the UOMSet BaseUnitName as the value to insert into the line item UOM. This successfully mapped to QB.

Hope this info is useful to others.

Blake C
  • 12-30-2011 6:11 AM In reply to

• fran
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-08-2009
    • Mountain View
    • Posts 453

Blake,

I was also having a sync error with unit of measure... I have come to conclusion I do not like UOM. I finally ended up adding a linked field to the item table for the base abbrevitation...my conflict error went away for this.  

So....which approach is more efficient for searching; usage, etc or does it matter...

doing a lookup for the value from the item table...

or adding the value as a linked field to the item table.  then grabbing the data from the item table.

Smile Fran

Fran Reed
    FreedUp Solutions
    Intuit Solution Provider
    Advanced Certified Quickbooks ProAdvisor
    Advanced Method Solution Provider
  • 12-31-2011 10:28 AM In reply to

Without knowing the inner technical workings of how Method develops it's stack, I could only speculate on efficiency. In our case, either way it's a lookup...whether it's through a linked field (your solution) or looking up the information upon Item selection (mine).

The linked field is a better overall solution b/c it doesn't require custom actions to achieve the same result...something I didn't think about at the time. I seem to forget about those Linked Fields.

Blake C
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)