Method Community

Invoice QTY Posting to Orders Not Working

Last post 02-02-2012 12:40 PM by jnoneiliv1. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-19-2012 2:01 PM

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Invoice QTY Posting to Orders Not Working

I am having some problems getting some Invoices to post their invoiced line items to the corresponding Order.

All of the Invoices are created from the Create Invoice action sequence and I can see that the Invoice Header has the correct recordid for the "parent" Order.  But the quantities will not post.  I have looked at both the Order and Invoice in QB and in Method, and I have changed the Invoiced QTY, re-saved the Invoice, etc. in both QB and Method and cannot get the invoiced QTY to post to the Order.

Without this posting of the Invoiced QTY to the order, it makes it very difficult to keep track of open quantities that need to be shipped etc.

I imagine there is some kind of relational link from the Invoice line item to the Order line item that is not holding up correctly, but it is a bit hard to troubleshoot as there is little visibility to the key fields in QB or Method, at least within the Conflicts tab, or other areas.

I could create a screen or dump some records to excel to compare key values, but I was hoping that I could get some pointers as to how to troubleshoot this if someone knows what is happening under the hood.  It appears QB actually makes the update against the order through a background process that finds related Invoice records, but I am guessing.

Cheers,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 01-19-2012 4:12 PM In reply to

Re: Invoice QTY Posting to Orders Not Working

Jame-

If you are using the Standard screens and the Method Sync engine is running these values should be updated on their own.

Also verify that you have no conflicts as well under QuickBooks > Resolve Conflicts.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 01-19-2012 4:49 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

Michael,

All my screens are custom, but these values update on their own 90 to 95% of the time.   But, I've always had these few that don't update properly.

I can't find a conflict on the conflict tab that explains things, but these log entries are very difficult to read and I always have tons of conflicts.  Every Bill we enter in QB creates a conflict, etc.and the messages aren't really searchable in the standard Grid, at least not searchable by RecordID or anything useful.  I guess I could dump the log to excel.

If I delete the Invoice and create it new exactly like before with the same Invoice#, the new invoice immediately updates to the Sales Order.  I can watch it happen in QB on the server.  As far as I can tell the new Invoice is created exactly like the old one that didn't update.

I did have an Accountant's copy out for a time, but I went ahead and removed that lock.  But, again, there have ALWAYS been a few invoices which do not update to the Order for no reason I can find.  If it were a data integrity issue with the Order, or Items, or Order Line items why would a new Invoice created later post correctly?

What is the mechanism to force an existing Invoice and Line Items to post, and how do we confirm it happened other than looking at the Invoice tally in QB?

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 02-01-2012 11:38 AM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

Michael,

I've looked further into this problem and I really need some help with it.

We have too many Invoices where the Invoiced QTY is not updating the Sales Order Line Item Invoiced QTY.

I have added RecordID to the Sales Order Line Item Grid so I can see the Line Item RecordID and to make sure this data is available in the Grid for Loop through Grid Operations.

I have also added Link To Sales Order and Link To Sales Order_RecordID to the Invoice Line Items Grid to see which Sales Order Line Item the Invoice lines are linked to.

I can see on my Invoice# 64210, created from order 718, that the Invoice Line Item refers back to the correct Sales Order Line Item, in this case 1706.  Both the Link to Sales Order and Link To Sales Order_RecordID fields are populated correctly.

But, the Sales Order does not show an Invoiced QTY for this Line Item.

I have inspected the SalesOrder_CreateInvoice screen and I can see that the Loop Through Grid Action that populates the Invoice Line Items gets the Sales Order Line RecordID from a "ROW", must be the Row from the current Grid in the SalesOrder_CreateInvoice screen.  But, this grid does not have RecordID as a column or field in the Grid.  I think technicaly this should not work, but obviously it does, sometimes, but sometimes not.

I have added RecordID to the Grid in SalesOrder_CreateInvoice to make sure the Action reference agrees with data in the Grid rows, but I don't see why this should matter since I can see this data is getting populated correctly on the Invoice lines.

I don't know what else to check at this point.  I really need to fix this problem of Invoices not posting to Sales Orders.

Best Regards,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 02-01-2012 5:07 PM In reply to

James-

I have tested this on the standard Method screens and have not been able to duplicate this issue.

Normally this happens when conflicts arise. One suggestion is to try and just click Save on both the Invoice screen and Sales Order screen with the affected transactions loaded.

I know you are using some customized screen for this process but have you been able to duplicate this issue using the standard non-customized screens?  

Also does this happen on both the January and December version of Method? 

jnoneiliv1:
    I have inspected the SalesOrder_CreateInvoice screen and I can see that the Loop Through Grid Action that populates the Invoice Line Items gets the Sales Order Line RecordID from a "ROW", must be the Row from the current Grid in the SalesOrder_CreateInvoice screen.  But, this grid does not have RecordID as a column or field in the Grid.  I think technicaly this should not work, but obviously it does, sometimes, but sometimes not.

When using Value from Row when looping through a grid you can actually pull any value from the table that the grid is based off of, this is fine and should work.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 02-01-2012 5:25 PM In reply to

Answer

James

I've seen similar behavior.  However, once a changes only or full sync happens with no conflicts, the sales order then shows as invoiced.

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 02-02-2012 12:40 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Posts 171

Thanks guys.  I think there must be a direct way to troubleshoot this, if we can figure out what QB is looking for when it updates the Invoiced QTY on the Sales Order Line and inspect the Sales Order Line Item records and Invoice Line Item records from QB.

I cleared the resolve conflicts screen about a week ago and I've had no conflicts on full or changes only synchs for several days.

I've also modified individual Invoice Line item quantities and verified the synch updates to QB to try to "refresh" the synch of the Invoice Line Items.  I can see the Invoice line updated in QB but it does not fix Invoiced QTY on the Sales Order Line.

I can't reproduce the problem although I have about 25 invoices affected.  This problem has been occuring occasionaly, although rarely, since we began using Method.  I really don't think it is a "screen" problem, or a Synch problem.

QB does the actual calculation and population of the Invoiced QTY field of the Sales Order Line record.

For the Invoice Line Items that are not posting to the Sales Order I have made sure that both the Link to Sales Order and Link to Sales Order_RecordID are populated with the RecordID of the Sales Order Line (and by the way adding these fields to the Invoice line item grid, breaks the grid, I assume that one of these system fields doesn't like the insert row action).  I assume this is all that would be necessary for QB to sum the Invoiced QTY on the Sales Order Line.

I think that the RecordID's of Sales Order Headers, Sales Order Lines, Invoice Headers, and Invoice Lines (let's leave the group id's alone for a moment) are what keeps all the relationships in order and we can inspect the relationship in Method, but I don't know if QB uses these RecordID's or if it has another system generated key field or index field to maintain the strict relational database relations amongts these tables.  It could be that these RecordID's in Method look good, but some other system generated key fields in QB are corrupt (maybe from a incomplete or conflicted synch).

Since QB does the actual summation of Invoiced QTY from a query of all Invoice Line Items related (many to one) to the Sales Order Line Item, we need someone who can inspect the QB database (by ODBC?) to see why this relationship is broken or why QB fails to update this value like it does for all the other invoices.

I don't think the Sales Order is corrupt since I can delete the Invoice and re-create it using the same screens and the Invoiced QTY will update.

If I can find a way to get QB to recognize the relationships, I'll need to go back and inspect 100's of Invoices and re-enter about 25 to get them to post properly.

Help!

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)