Method Community

help customizing view

Last post 03-13-2012 8:47 AM by Method_Michael. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-02-2012 11:50 AM

help customizing view

i'm having problems creating a custom view for opportunity stages.  i've tried many different variation using is equal to, is not equal to, contains, is one of, etc. and can't seem to get the results i want.

it seems i can only create view based on open or closed.  if i'm not mistaken it seems that all the views that come pre-created in method revolved around those two things.  

how can i create a view based on specific custom made stages.  i've tried "is not equal to submitted" and all the opps with submitted still show.  i'ved tried "is one of. . ." and no stages at all show up

• 03-02-2012 9:05 PM In reply to

Re: help customizing view

Hi swm023,

The following steps will help you to add additional data to the "Opportunity Stage Category" dropdown:

1. Go to Customize>Integration Tools
    2. Click on the Go to Import/Export... link within the Import/Export section.
    3. In Import - Step 1: Import/Export menu, in "1. Choose to import or export:" select the option for "Export a table to a file"
    4. In Import - Step 1: Import/Export menu, in "2. Pick a Table:", select the table OpportunityStageCategory and then click on the Export to File button. Make sure that before you click on that button, you make sure that the "OpportunityStageCategory" and "RecordID" fields are selected.
    5. Add the new Opportunity Stage Category name in the excel export file under the heading of OpportunityStageCategory and the new RecordID under the RecordID heading which will be the next number after the last recordID.
    6. In Import - Step 1: Import/Export menu, in "1. Choose to import or export:" select the option for "Import into a table from a file".
    7. In Import - Step 1: Import/Export menu, in "2. Pick a Table:", select the table OpportunityStageCategory and then click on the Export to File button.
    8. In Import - Step 1: Import/Export menu, in "3. Choose a File to import:" click on the Choose File button and select the file you want to import.
    9. Click on the Import Data... button. 
    10. Put a check beside the checkbox for "Update existing records by matching the key fields" and put a check on the "RecordID" checkbox. 

Once you open up the "New/Edit Opportunity Stages" screen, you will be able to see the choices in the "Opportunity Stage Category" dropdown.

I hope that this helps.

Ronen

• 03-05-2012 9:19 AM In reply to

Thank you for your help.

Question:  I already added the stages I want to use using the "..." button on the New/Edit Opp Stages screen.  I've been using them for a while now.  Why don't they show on the exported file?  Will I mess things up if I follow the above steps?  Will there now be two of the same stage listed if I add them to the file and import it?

• 03-05-2012 3:39 PM In reply to

Hi swm023,

I have a more up to date suggestion that is easier to implement then by using that Import/Export tool suggestion but I have one question. 

What kind of view are you trying to filter and what is your criteria? You can only filter a table based out of the fields that are currently available in that table.

Since you are refering to the Opportunity Stage table, you can only filter the following fields: OpportunityStage, StageOrder, StageProbabilityPercent, and OpportunityStageCategory.

In addition, a much more effient way of adding an Opportunity Stage Category selection to that dropdown listing is by doing the following:

1. Go to Customize>Screens.
    2. In the "Enter a screen name" field type in a screen name. 
    3. Click the Continue link.
    4. In step 3, select the table OpportunityStageCategory.
    5. In step 4, you can select the tab that you want to display this new screen. 
    6. Click on the "Add Screen" button. 
    7. In the screen listing, find the screen that you have just created, and click on the Edit link for that new screen. 
    8. From the ToolBox area on the left, drag the field Opportunity Stage Category and the button object to the screen section on the right. I would call the button Save
    9. Click on the Edit link on the Save button and add the action "Save All Sections".
    10. If you now go to the screen that you have just created, add the new stage category, and click on the Save button.

If you go back to the New/Edit Opportunity Stages screen, you will now see that selection in the Opportunity Stage Category dropdown.

I hope that this helps.

Ronen

• 03-05-2012 7:21 PM In reply to

it doesn't sound like we are talking about the same thing.  i have already created all the opportunity stages i wants using the "..." button.  they are all there and i am using them.

on the opportunities list screen in the top left it says "custom filter by view" with a drop down next to it.  i'm having trouble creating a custom view.  

i'm editing the screen, going into the the opportunities list table, going to step 3 filters.  the one i've tried so far says "opportunitystagecategory does not contain Closed" and "assignedto is equal to username".  when i use that view everything is blank.  

• 03-06-2012 10:39 AM In reply to

Answer

Hi swm023,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Here are the steps to add the opportunity stage categories more efficiently then with the Import/Export tool:

1. Go to Customize>Screens.
    2. In the "Enter a screen name" field type in a screen name.
    3. Click the Continue link.
    4. In step 3, select the table OpportunityStageCategory.
    5. In step 4, you can select the tab that you want to display this new screen.
    6. Click on the "Add Screen" button.
    7. In the screen listing, find the screen that you have just created, and click on the Edit link for that new screen.
    8. From the ToolBox area on the left, drag the field Opportunity Stage Category and the button object to the screen section on the right. I would name the button Save.
    9. Click on the Edit link on the Save button and add the action "Save All Sections".
    10. Go to the screen that you have just created, add the new stage category, and click on the Save button.

If you go back to the New/Edit Opportunity Stages screen, you will now see that selection in the Opportunity Stage Category dropdown.

When you go back to your copy of the CRM_OpportunitiesList screen, in Step 3 of 9: Filters, make sure that for the filter for the field name OpportunityStageCategory, you select the filter of Contains, the get value from of Type In, and the select value of (the category name).

I hope that this helps.

Ronen

• 03-06-2012 7:41 PM In reply to

so if i already have all the stages added that i want (using the "..." button) and i follow the above steps, will i have duplicate stages?

in order to filter, do the stages have to be added in the way you describe above (not using the "..." button).  As for creating the filter, i am following you instructions as above witht the exisitng stage (which were added with the "..." button) and the filter doesn't work.

• 03-07-2012 12:30 PM In reply to

Hi swm023,

The above instructions that I had provided for you refers to the steps on how you can add additional selections to the Opportunity Stage Category dropdown in the New/Edit Opportunity Stages screen.

You can create the stages for the opportunity the way you had created them in the past by clicking on the ... beside the Stage dropdown when you are creating a new opportunity.

I was under the impression that you wanted to add a new Opportunity Stage Category other then the default "Closed Lost", "Closed Won", and "Open". to the Opportunity Stage Category dropdown.

I want to get everything set-up for you properly so I wanted to know what is your specific criteria for the "Filter By View" dropdown filter that you want to create for the Opportunity List screen.

I want to make sure we get on the right track and find the resolution for your question.

Ronen

• 03-08-2012 8:13 PM In reply to

right, so i know how to create opportunity stages and have done so. why isn't my filter working. i followed your instructions:

When you go back to your copy of the CRM_OpportunitiesList screen, in Step 3 of 9: Filters, make sure that for the filter for the field name OpportunityStageCategory, you select the filter of Contains, the get value from of Type In, and the select value of (the category name).

• 03-13-2012 8:47 AM In reply to

Hi swm023-

I am going to chime in here and hopefully clear up some confusion.

I think you are filtering by the wrong field, you should probably be creating your filters based on the OpportunityStage field and not the OpportunityStageCategory field.

For OpportunityStageCategory there only only 3 options 'Closed Won', 'Closed Lost' and 'Open' which you assign to each Opportunity Stage.

My guess is that you created a new Stage('Super Awesome Stage') and now want only that stage to show on a grid , in step 3 of 9 just make sure you are filtering by OpportunityStage contains(Or you can use equal to) Super Awesome Stage.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)