Method Community

Customize screens please help!

Last post 03-12-2012 8:19 AM by Lorin. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-07-2012 10:15 AM

Customize screens please help!

Hello everyone,

Our company just acquired QuickBooks after using different accounting software and CRM for a while. Now that we have changed to QuickBooks, somebody recommended MethodCRM to be used as our CRM as it supposedly ties into QuickBooks very well. Our company focuses on distributing products from different manufacturers and a big part of our company is first hand customer support. Because of this we need to be able to create some custom fields that relates to product serial numbers and product types. We are currently using the basic version of MethodCRM to evaluate whether or not we will be able to use it. I am in charge of making sure that things are set up and running and at this point in time I am not sure if I am seeing how things are being tied together in MethodCRM.

There is a Cases tab by default which seems to be a pretty good start. However, I cannot seem to make any changes to any of the current screens, not add any new fields to it. So after a while I found that you can make a copy of a screen (name it something else) and after that you are able to customize it. Fine. I copied the screens I needed and added the fields (they never showed up) to a support tab to fit our support needs. I was unable to tie things back to a show a functioning support list (based everything on the Cases and Caselist screens). Because of this I decided to delete the copied screens and go back and see if I could maybe, after all, add something to the existing Cases screen. It seems that I can't modify anything so I am now coming here for help. First of all I have a problem.
    When I hit new case under the cast list I get this message:

"Could not run the 'Go To Tab Link' command, as there was a problem locating the Tab Link 'New Case'. This Tab Link may have been deleted, or if you copied the original Screen from another account, you may also need to copy the Screen this Tab Link 'New Case' belongs to as well. Additional InformationAction Sequence Order:1"

1. I have NO idea how to fix this. So if anyone can please help me with this that would be great.

2. If I update to the PRO version of this CRM will I be able to add custom fields to the screens that I need to manipulate?

I have many other questions that all relate to the same things so I will stop here and see if anyone can help me.

Also, if we cannot get this up and running by next week we have to switch CRM and try something different.

Thank you very much for your time!  

• 03-07-2012 10:31 AM In reply to

Re: Customize screens please help!

Hi IrieAlex

WOW! It sounds like you just jumped in the deep water.  Did you get any sort of initial introduction to Method?

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 03-07-2012 11:17 AM In reply to

LaCrews:

Hi IrieAlex

WOW! It sounds like you just jumped in the deep water.  Did you get any sort of initial introduction to Method?

Hello LaCrews,

Our account manager wanted to give us an introduction (show us what the different screens do and basic "how CRM" works) but I declined this because we are already very familiar with how CRM works, we understand the screens and the relationships between them, tabs and all those things. The account manager also told me that he would NOT show us any customization and that would be something we have to pay for, or ask here.

We used SalesForce, Sage CRM and other CRM solutions in the past so we are very familiar with how they work. We are, however, not very familiar with how to customize this particular CRM to fit our needs. 

So here I am trying to get this to work. Personally, I find the customization process very unintuitive but, like with anything I am sure it has it's learning curve and it will make sense once you  get a hang of it. 

• 03-07-2012 11:37 AM In reply to

IrieAlex

You're right with regard to the learning curve and getting the hang of it.  The best way to learn is to wade through the webinars.

The webinar links are here:  http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/blogs/methodblog/pages/Method-Community-Webinars.aspx

Mark Crews
    Cloud Consultancy
    Principal and Developer

• 2012 MethodCRM Partner of the Year

• 2012 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

• 2011 MethodCRM Community Excellence Award

Visit our website to find out about our training, support, and customization services.
    blog: cloudconsultancyllc.com/blog/
    ph: 434.326.1601
    e: support@cloudconsultancyllc.com

What is Method?
  • 03-07-2012 11:49 AM In reply to

LaCrews:

IrieAlex

You're right with regard to the learning curve and getting the hang of it.  The best way to learn is to wade through the webinars.

The webinar links are here:  http://www.methodintegration.com/cs/blogs/methodblog/pages/Method-Community-Webinars.aspx

Thanks. I have looked into a few of those but I might have to see if I can find anything that covers what I am looking for. 

1. Does anyone know how I can fix the error message I am getting when clicking on New Case? The suggestion (by our account manager) to delete the copied screens did not fix anyhing. 

2. Will upgrading to Pro let us customize the existing screens? 

Thanks again!

• 03-07-2012 3:03 PM In reply to

Answer

Hi IrieAlex,

For the error message:

IrieAlex:
    "Could not run the 'Go To Tab Link' command, as there was a problem locating the Tab Link 'New Case'. This Tab Link may have been deleted, or if you copied the original Screen from another account, you may also need to copy the Screen this Tab Link 'New Case' belongs to as well. Additional InformationAction Sequence Order:1"

You need to make sure that the Cases List tab link is the original Method screen versus the copy of the original screen. If you go to Customize>Tabs, make sure that when you click on the Edit Tab Links... beside the Cases tab, that the screen name CRM_CaseList is associated to the tab link Cases List.

For your second question, you can customize fields, screens and reports if you have Method CRM. In Method CRM Pro, in relationship to your requirements, you can create your own database tables and fields which is not available in Method CRM.

I hope that this helps.

Ronen

• 03-08-2012 10:36 AM In reply to

• Lorin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2012
    • Posts 7

I am having a similar problem with a copied screen. I too tried deleting the screens I made and it did not fix the problem. I also watched the webinar about changing screens which also did not help me with my issue. Hopefully someone on this forum will answer. It seems like a very basic issue.

• 03-11-2012 6:45 PM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Lorin,

I think Ronen's solution above will take care of your problem.

When you create a new screen as a copy of a default screen Method gives you the opportunity to replace all the tab links to the old screen with your new "customized" screen.  This is a really great feature, and you can select another option when you create the screen, but if you accidentally do this it can cause problems.

But, if you go into the Customize>Tabs section and make sure all the screens are the old default screens, you should be able to fix the problem.

Your getting the error because the new case screen is getting called but it's no longer their because you replaced the default screen with the new one, and then deleted to the new one.  But, the tab most likely still has the name of the new screen instead of the default.

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 03-12-2012 8:19 AM In reply to

• Lorin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2012
    • Posts 7

Answer

Thanks!

Ronen was able to help me out. In the future, I am planning on not copying an existing screen and replacing it since it affects all screens that are linked to/from it. I  just copied the screen I wanted to modify and added a tab link for it. That way I don't mess up the links on the Method screens. It seems to be working for me so far!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)