Method Community

Tips for enforcing max field length in method?

Last post 03-23-2012 1:46 PM by smohyee. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2012 1:04 PM

Tips for enforcing max field length in method?

We ship primarily with UPS, and their Worldship program enforces a maximum line length of 35 characters for all lines except the city name, which is 29 characters.

Quickbooks allows more characters than that, and this is an issue since our employees are incapable of self-regulating when it comes to line length. I was hoping to have Method enforce the character limits.

Unfortunately, I am unable to change the actual max field lengths for Sales Orders, Invoices, etc, because they are core fields from Quickbooks. (Not to mention the conflict with all our old records that would exceed the reduced max field length).

So I'm interested in creating an action set that actually counts the characters in each line of the shipping address fields, and gives a warning to the user when they try to save. I was thinking the "Character function", but there doesn't seem to be a character count function included in that action. 

Any suggestions?

• 03-23-2012 1:29 PM In reply to

Re: Tips for enforcing max field length in method?

Answer

Character Function > Get Length.

You were *almost* there.

Paul

• 03-23-2012 1:46 PM In reply to

Re: Tips for enforcing max field length in method?

Riiiiight. Time for more caffeine. 

Edit: Hell, I didn't even need that function. Just used the "Get left" to grab the first 35 characters of the line, then replaced the value on the screen with that. Two actions per shipping line on each screen, lets my users see the exact char cutoff point without needing popup warnings. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)