Method Community

File Attachment Data Type and Method Store versus Smart Vault Future Functionality Support

Last post 03-26-2012 10:14 AM by jnoneiliv1. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-24-2012 11:42 AM

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

File Attachment Data Type and Method Store versus Smart Vault Future Functionality Support

We're using the File Attachment data type, the Picture Object, and the Method Store to hold images, pdf files, and CAD drawings of our foundry tooling using the Item name as a key field.  For all of the Items we make we need to associate images of the parts, tooling, and pdf files of CAD drawings, and other image and file data.  We would need to support something like 1,000 to 2,000 items with image attachments.

Prior to Smart Vault, the storage of the file attachment or image data was held in Method, presumably as a blob data type in the database, and the combined functionality of the File Attachment data type and the Picture Object type allowed for fairly comprehensive support for the use of image or other file attachments in screens and reports.

But, there are limitations to file attachment support using the Method store.  First, all images and file attachments MUST have unique filenames and these must be assigned uniquely by the user prior to uploading the file, otherwise attachments with the same filename will be exchanged with each other on screens and reports.  The database keeps the attachments correctly indexed to the Item key field, but there is a performance cache that is filename based that mixes up the images.

There's also the limitation that it might not be possible to import or export large amounts of images from a table for desktop backup, or other uses of the document store that would accumulate in Method just using the upload functionality of the Picture Object in screens or export functionality of the Integration Tools.

Potentially Smart Vault might offer a more complete extension of document management, image display and reporting, backup, export and other functionality for document storage, display, etc.

I am considering migrating our 200 or so current file attachments for Items to Smart Vault, assuming this might offer some extended functionality support, but I'm not sure the Smart Vault functionality set will offer similiar data table level access and functionality as the old Method store.

So the question is, what's the recommended usage strategy for these two options of file attachment storage?  Would Smart Vault offer improved support for our scenario and a suite of functionality that has higher priority on the development road map, or should we expect to see continue support for the Method store, filling in some of the current gaps of data integrity, etc.?

Cheers,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
  • 03-26-2012 9:22 AM In reply to

Re: File Attachment Data Type and Method Store versus Smart Vault Future Functionality Support

James-

The main purpose of the Smart Vault integration is the ability to share files amongst the Smart Vault Eco-System, files uploaded to Smart Vault from Method can be accessible  in QuickBooks, directly through Smart Vault and other third party apps that integrate with Smart Vault. You should still expect us to address any issues that may arise with Method's file store.

-Michael

Michael Melo
    Product Manager
    Method Integration Inc.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/MichaelMelo
  • 03-26-2012 10:14 AM In reply to

• jnoneiliv1
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-17-2010
    • Richmond, Virginia, USA
    • Posts 171

Re: File Attachment Data Type and Method Store versus Smart Vault Future Functionality Support

Ok.  I was just curious if there was an architectural advantage between the two options when looking at the situation of potentially 1,000's of files attached to something like the Item records.  I would think that the Method file store would be very appropriate, but I think the current performance cache based on filename is more appropriate for a picture object that is used over and over in a report or something.

I think the use cases could bread down into three major categories.

1.  An image or document that get's re-used over and over in reports or sceen display.

2.  Large volumes of images or documents used for example inventory identification, bar code, etc. used in customized screens or custom workflow applications.

3.  Documents, small or large volume, attached on a case by case, order by order basis.  (The Smart Vault Eco-System).

It's clear that Smart Vault is "document" driven, although potentially just as useful for integrating image store as a data table extension?

The Method Store has some features like Account Caching and some other functionality that make it appear that it was designed more for repeat use of a handful of images, but structurally it works well for the high volume case.

I just want to make sure I push for feature extension or issue resolution within the right use context.

It will certainly save me some time to continue with the Method store and not switch to Smart Vault.

Cheers,

James

James ONeil
    O. K. Foundry Co., Inc.
    1005 Commerce Rd.
    Richmond, Virginia 23224
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)