Method Community

Retrieving values from table

Last post 04-02-2012 8:37 AM by Method_Valbon. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-29-2012 4:06 PM

• Rolf
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2011
    • Posts 109

Retrieving values from table

I am using the Retrieve Value from Table action  to get the value of a dropdown field which I subsequently use in a conditional action. I seem to remember that in the past retrieving a dropdown field would automatically open a new line to allow a choice between the RegID value or the text value. I wanted to use the text value, but have found through testing that the action is returning the RegID value instead, causing my conditional to fail.

Am I missing something here?

Rolf

• 03-30-2012 1:35 PM In reply to

Re: Retrieving values from table

Answer

Rolf,

To make things easy, what's stopping you from using the retrieving for the field you are actually looking for? Using the Customer table as an example:

i.e. if you want the actual text value of the CustomerType (drop down field) than retrieve that field

or...

if you want the record ID of that value use CustomerType_RecordID

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 03-30-2012 3:20 PM In reply to

• Rolf
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-18-2011
    • Posts 109

Valbon,

I am executing a set of actions upon a text change in a dropdown field called CustomerBank. In that action set there is a conditional action dependent upon the value of the dropdown prior to the text change. That value is still stored in the table, whereas reading the dropdown field gives the new changed value.

When I tried to retrieve that stored value, I could choose either the field CustomerBank or CustomerBank_RecordID in the dropdown choices.  Either of those choices returns the same value; namely the RecordID of the dropdown choice. I expected the CustomerBank field to return the text value associated with the CustomerBank_RecordID.  What I've done to solve this is to retrieve the RecordID and then use that to retrieve the text value from the associated CustomerBank table.

My question was mostly about trying to understand why it worked differently than I expected and whether there had been a change in the RetrieveValuefrom Table context box.

Rolf

• 04-02-2012 8:37 AM In reply to

Rolf,

Rolf:
    When I tried to retrieve that stored value, I could choose either the field CustomerBank or CustomerBank_RecordID in the dropdown choices.  Either of those choices returns the same value; namely the RecordID of the dropdown choice

Unless the fields contain the same value at the table level they should fetch different data. I probably don't have to mention this but something seems off, you can export the drop down table to confirm any values. Sounds like you have a good alternative though. I'll double check on any changes to this area just in case.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)