Method Community

Entering a table into a screen

Last post 04-23-2012 4:53 PM by Method_Valbon. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-01-2012 5:54 PM

Entering a table into a screen

I've created a new table within the customize tab of Field Services, and I want to insert it into the AddEdit WorkOrder screen (within Field Services). For some reason, it does not appear as an option. Can someone please assist?

• 04-02-2012 10:45 AM In reply to

Re: Entering a table into a screen

Hi Sherrie - I see this is your first post…welcome!

Did you actually create a new table? Or did you add a new field to an existing table? It's important that I know this to properly help.

If you created a new table (Customize>>>Tables / Fields) Method probably added a new screen which would appear under Customize>>>Screens allowing you to enter data into the new table. This can then be displayed under any of the tabs like Field Services.

If you added a field to an existing table…we need to know which one? This field can than be displayed on the appropriate screen.

Can you tell us a bit more about the changes you made? What's the ultimate goal?

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 04-04-2012 8:09 PM In reply to

Hi Valbon,

Thank you for getting back to me. Let me start by telling you my ultimate goal. I need to make a drop down menu on the add/edit workorder screen in Field Servies. I want to call it "Tech Assigned" so that when a job is assigned to a tech, we can select that persons name, and then it will appear on the workorder paperwork once it is printed. To attempt this: I went under Field Services>>> Customize>>>Tables/Fields, and created a new table. I then added "dropdown" fields to this table with the tech names. How would I go about getting this information to show up in the Add/Edit Workorder screen?

Also, I have numerous other things that I need to change once I can get my workorders set up properly, but I want to fix one problem at a time.

Thanks!

• 04-05-2012 8:30 AM In reply to

Answer

Sherrie - I'm happy you got to us when you did. Here's why...

Sherrie:
    Thank you for getting back to me. Let me start by telling you my ultimate goal. I need to make a drop down menu on the add/edit workorder screen in Field Servies. I want to call it "Tech Assigned" so that when a job is assigned to a tech, we can select that persons name,

In my opinion you do not want to do this! There is already a drop down on that screen called "Assigned To*" which is actually required. This drop down already lists all of your Method users anyways...which could include your techs.

Here's the catch, you can actually add all your techs as Method users! Then you decide which ones will have an active and paid for license allowing them to sign in vs the ones that will not be able to sign in but still appear as an available option in the drodpwn. There are HUGE advantages to doing it this way.

So you would still need to add them as users but when you do just make sure 'User can sign-in (counting toward my paid licenses)' is unchecked. This is all found in Method under Customize>>>Users.

Sherrie:
    and then it will appear on the workorder paperwork once it is printed

Using our field already does this with the Assigned To. Otherwise you would have to modify all of our existing templates/reports to include you custom field.

Sherrie:
    To attempt this: I went under Field Services>>> Customize>>>Tables/Fields, and created a new table. I then added "dropdown" fields to this table with the tech names

Even if I were to recommend your approach, I would say you should add a drop down field to the Activity table because that is the table the work order screen is built on.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 04-09-2012 7:47 PM In reply to

Valbon,

Thank you for the help. I've successfully been able to add the Technicians names into the "Assigned To" field. However, when I went back to the Field Service>Add/Edit Work order screen, I am unable to load the drop down. I keep getting an error message.

• 04-09-2012 8:41 PM In reply to

Now the drop down is showing me the name options, but when I go to save the workorder, it is telling me that "Assigned To" is a required field (eventhough I have selected a name from the drop down). Any suggestions?

• 04-10-2012 8:50 AM In reply to

Hi Sherrie,

Glad to hear you were able to set up the users.

When you save do you get a banner across the top of the screen with this message? If so, it's because there is an action on the Save button (Conditional Warning) that checks to make sure there is a value selected for AssignedTo. If it's a custom screen you should be able to edit the Save button and verify this action is still correct. Did you ever rename or remove the AssignedTo drop down?

Reading your previous post I'm going to assume (correct me if I'm wrong) this is a custom screen, can you recall if any of you previous changes would affect this?

As a new user, we also want to make sure you have contacted your Account Manger and scheduled an Initial Setup Call. Please give us a call if you have not done this.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 04-16-2012 6:22 PM In reply to

Hi Valbon,

I was able to remove the Conditional Warning from the save button. I wasn't aware that was even an option. Thank You! I believe that may be it for this project, but  I still have numerous other tasks that I'm sure I will need help with.

I am working with Climate Control Corp to set up their software so that they will FINALLY be able to use it. Someone from the office was in touch with Wayne (the Account Manager) but they were still unsuccessful in resolving their issues. So, I have offered to help them. I myself have not been in touch with Wayne, since we were told that there was no more phone or email assistance available to us and we were referred to the forums.

• 04-16-2012 7:05 PM In reply to

Hi Valbon,

I'm already onto a new problem. Within Field Services, I would like "Equipment" to show up as a tab within the "Customer" Screen. How would I go about making that change?

Thanks again for your help.

• 04-17-2012 11:42 AM In reply to

Sherrie - glad to hear you found the conditional warning. Yes

There may have been some miss-communication regarding your previous post since we defiantly offer support. We try to make a clear distinction between true technical support (free) vs consulting (i.e training, customization assistance, project scoping and etc.). Users can always schedule premium support through paid consulting if needed. Either way I'm glad you and I found each other on the forums!

Sherrie:
    Within Field Services, I would like "Equipment" to show up as a tab within the "Customer" Screen

If you're looking to have another section on that screen so you can see the equipment related to a selected customer than you should just be able to add an attached grid.

1. 1. Customize your customer screen
    2. Add a new section if you want the same look that's already there 
    3. Add a new grid to the section
    4. In the grid wizzard, be sure the grid is attached and specify the CustomerEquipment table

Let us know if this helps.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 04-17-2012 7:14 PM In reply to

Well I made some progress. I was able to get the new tab inserted. I made sure the grid was "attached", but after publishing and refreshing, the equipment tab (on the customer screen) was empty. There is just a gray line. Is it safe to assume that I will need to build in each field separately? I was able to take a screen shot of the page to show you what it looks like, but I can't upload it on here because it doesnt have a URL (it's just saved on my hard drive).

• 04-18-2012 8:41 AM In reply to

If you go through the grid wizard, there's a step to add the columns (fields) to the grid. Also, since this grid is built off an attached table that is not the screens main table (the screen is built off the customer table), you'll have to select a customer that actually has related equipment so it can populate the related data.

If my response above doesn't help, please feel free to send your image to my email. See below.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 04-23-2012 12:43 PM In reply to

Hi Valbon,

I was able to do this, BUT I also need to be able to enter a word in the "date acquired" screen if the equipment is pre-existing. I've tried every setting possible, but I'm only able to enter numbers into that field. How can I change that?

My next project is setting up a way to run a Work Order History for a customer. I'm aware of how to enter a work order, and how to print, but is there a way to print a summary of all past work orders without them showing up on separate pages?

Also, I've uploaded a Climate Control logo to show at the top of the work orders, but is there a way to prevent it from being resized so small? It's almost impossible to even read the company name.

Thanks again!

• 04-23-2012 4:53 PM In reply to

Hi Sherrie,

There's a few different ways to do this. Some involve more customization and others can utilize what is already there. Here are just a few options:

If you want the work orders to be printed on one page, you will either have to create a new report template or modify one of the existing ones. It would probably make most sense to use the report in the following areas.

• Field Services Center >>> Work Order List >>> Print / Email
    • Field Services Center >>> Customers >>> Activities & Work Orders.

The next option is even easier and done by adding a button with the action to Export Grid to Excel (or PDF). You will want to make sure all the proper column headings are included on the grid and apply any filters before the export.

Just curious, have you or your company ever completed your Initial Setup Service Call (ISS) with your Method account Manager? If you are unsure, you can email or private message us your Method account name and we can look this up.

Hope this helps.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)