Method Community

Website Field

Last post 04-27-2012 12:58 PM by Method_David. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-08-2012 9:29 AM

Website Field

I used MethodAPIFieldListV2 to view all the fields in Customer and it shows 'WebSite' as a valid field.

I have been successful in retreiving data behind my fields within Customer using MethodAPISelect_XMLV2, however when I pull data from the 'WebSite' field, the API completely ignores that request and skips right over retreiving data.  The API does not even acknowledge the field being used. If there was an empty value, then I would at least expect the field name to show up in the API result.  

Any help would be appreciated.

• 04-09-2012 9:05 AM In reply to

Re: Website Field

@CF_Pro, I have moved this post under our sub-forum for the API to help make sure your question is properly addressed.

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 04-10-2012 9:22 AM In reply to

Hi CF_Pro

Does it return an error message or does it return xml with blank values for the website? If it returns blank values for the website, do any of your contacts have website information entered? If the value is null it may not have been added to the xml, if the value is an empty string, it was added to the xml as <website />.

Dave

• 04-10-2012 9:59 AM In reply to

The website field is not part of the screens, so no I do not believe my data contains any website values.  However, I feel that if the website field is part of the table, then xml should output the field and describe the value as null or empty.  I noticed it litteraly ignores that field and the xml will output information about other fields that are requested after that field.  Really strange and confusing.  If this is how it works I will have to add error trapping to get around it.

• 04-12-2012 10:03 AM In reply to

Hi CF_Pro,

Good suggestion. I have created an internal ticket (#3396) and will keep you updated on its progress

Dave

• 04-27-2012 12:58 PM In reply to

Answer

CF_Pro,

To update unfortunately this suggestion will not be implemented.

To implement this suggestion would deviate from standards. XML nodes are not guaranteed and if null typically are not delivered.

There are also performance reasons for this. The xml writer does not need to write unneeded xml, the xml is faster making transmission and reception faster, and the an xml parser can process it faster since it is smaller.

Delivering null xml on a static established schema is acceptable. So it falls upon you as the developer to handle this in your code.

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)