Method Community

API Questions

Last post 04-15-2012 9:23 AM by Method_Paul. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2012 3:31 PM

API Questions

Good morning,

I have  some questions and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me.

We currently have a web application which is communicating with QB through the Web Connector. We are looking to replace the Web Connector with the MethodAPI.

These are the operations we are currently doing through our web application and populating QuickBooks:

•         Insert / Update Customer & Job Information
    •         Create Estimates, Sales Orders, Invoices
    •         Apply payments
    •         Create Purchase Orders
    •         Insert / Update Inventory Item information

I totally understand Method CRM was programmed as a Web Application on its own and not to be used as an engine for other applications. If you we choose to go this route our goal ultimately will be to just use the Database Engine Method has to communicate with QuickBooks. We do not want our users to use the Method CRM system. Is this even possible through the API?

Are we able to achieve all of this through the API? I tried reading through the API documentation but for one that is unfamiliar with how Method CRM works in general, it’s pretty hard to understand.

I did notice Method is using simple SQL database to store the data but I’m wondering how would we retrieve data from QuickBooks. For instance, to update any item in QuickBooks we need to obtain the unique reference id QuickBooks stores when the item is created. I noticed with Method its different as we need to obtain the actual ID of item inside the SQL table. Those are not the same. Is there any documentation on how these SQL tables are constructed?

My last question would be in regards to the monthly costs. As far as I understood we would need only one user – is this a correct assumption or am I missing something here?

Thank you!

Nick

• 04-13-2012 2:59 PM In reply to

Re: API Questions

Moreover, how does the syncing work? If I add an invoice in Method does it sync to QB on the spot or there is a waiting time?

• 04-13-2012 3:52 PM In reply to

Hi warren_nickus,

To sync with quickbooks you need to have the method integration  engine installed. Please read the document entitled "Method Initial Setup Guide" which is located at http://www.methodintegration.com/self-service-documentation.aspx

Once you have the engine installed you can set the frequency with which it syncs with quickbooks.

To insert data into a table you can use the function MethodAPIInsert or MethodAPIInsertV2. Both functions return the method recordid to you. You can then either wait for the sync to happen (on whatever frequency you set above) or invoke MethodAPIActionSendToDesktop or MethodAPIActionSendToDesktop2 to in intiate a sync.

To update data you would use a similar process MethodAPIUpdate or MethodAPIUpdateV2. For deleting there is MethodAPIDelete and MethodAPIDeleteV2.

If you are  processing credit card payments we have the following functions

MethodAPIActionChargeCreditCard_PsiGate,MethodAPIActionChargeCreditCard_PsiGateV2 MethodAPIActionChargeCreditCard_ElectraCash,MethodAPIActionChargeCreditCard_ElectraCashV2

And for refunding MethodAPIActionRefundCreditCard_ElectraCashV2 and MethodAPIActionRefundCreditCard_PsiGateV2

We also have payment gateways which you can set up and use from you method account.

Processing through a payment gateway cannot be done through the current api. However the new version of the api (a sneak peek of which is available at https://www.methodintegration.com/MethodAPItest/Service.asmx)  will replace the current API on May 1. It contains the following functions to support payment gateway processing: MethodAPIActionChargePaymentGateway
    and MethodAPIActionRefundPaymentGateway

Dave

• 04-13-2012 5:33 PM In reply to

Hi Dave,

Let me start by saying I appreciate your help.

I still have 3 open issues which I did not address in my previous post.

1) Do you think utilizing method in the scenario I described is a good solution? Did you encounter other companies which do the same?

2) When QB is closed I’m assuming we can still enter data through the API and once we open QB the data will populate – is this a correct assumption?

3) Our web application is working with multiple company files – is there a way to deal with that through the Engine? I can open multiple accounts but I noticed that the Syncing software can only sync one account at a time. Is there a workaround? I know we can simply install the Syncing software on numerous computers and have them run different company files but that doesn’t seem like an elegant solution. Your thoughts?

Thank you for your time & attention,

Nick

• 04-14-2012 12:29 PM In reply to

Nick -

1) There are other companies doing this, but not on a large scale. It was part of the original business model for Method - we just haven't emphasized it.

2) Yes.  When QB is closed you are inserting, updating and viewed cached data from QuickBooks. As soon as QB is open and connected to the sync engine, all changes get updated, bidirectionally.

3) Multiple files is not a problem. But the sync engine has to conform to QuickBooks rules.  There's no way to read and write to a QuickBooks file unless QuickBooks is open. The Method Sync Engine uses the QuickBooks SDK - which means we interact with QuickBooks data via their interface, instead of their database directly.  Even in "unattended mode" where QuickBooks appears closed, it is in fact open.  Also, only one QuickBooks file can be opened at one time for QB SDK integration.  So our hands are tied, as are any other developer's hands that wants to interact live with QB data.

Keep in mind you'll need one Method account per QuickBooks file, and you'll need at minimum Method CRM, $25/account/user/month.  If you are talking about significant scale (>100 accounts), then there are certain scenarios where you can just use the sync engine, and not use the CRM interface, which is much a lower cost.  You'll have to contact us over the phone to discuss this as an option if you want to go this way.

Paul

• 04-14-2012 2:20 PM In reply to

Paul,

How does the Engine work with mutiple files? Will we have to change the account manually in the Method Engine everytime to achieve the Sync? Is it possible to have multiple instances of the Method Engine run on different accounts? I will then keep Quickbooks open but not logged on to any company account, I would imagine the syncing will still work.

Another solution I had in mind is to install Quickbooks on multiple Virtual Machines and have the Engine run on each seperate Method account to Sync different company files. This doesn't look like the "most" elegant solution and I would prefer NOT to go this route.

Any other suggestions to make this work? We don't have 100 accounts but roughly 10 QB files.

Your help is appreciated!

Nick

• 04-14-2012 5:31 PM In reply to

Nick - once you switch the file in QB, the Method Engine hears the switch and automatically switch to the Method account it is paired with. It's pretty seemless.  You can install the Method Engine on all computers, and ask us to turn on "Roaming" on your accounts, which allows a non-constant computer name as the main computer.

Paul

• 04-15-2012 9:17 AM In reply to

Paul, who should I contact to turn on "Roaming"?

• 04-15-2012 9:23 AM In reply to

Answer

Your account manager.  Their name and email should be in your "Welcome to Method" email.

Paul

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)