Method Community

Map and Directions for Selected

Last post 04-16-2012 3:11 PM by Method_Valbon. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2012 10:31 PM

Map and Directions for Selected

Hello!  Just wanted to state that I am new to forum but think Method is great with one painful exception.  When map out the route with directions, there is no correlation between customer name and address, which further exacerbates the route list being in no particular order.  Ideally, the route list would be based upon the order provided by Google Maps; however, I can just live with customer names on the Googe Map rather than Street Name, Address.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to:

1) have customer names appear with addresses in Google Maps, or better yet,

2) have the order of the route list correspond the order in Google Maps?

Thanks!

• 04-13-2012 3:23 PM In reply to

Re: Map and Directions for Selected

@simsimsalabim - I see this is your first post…welcome to our forums!

Hmm, you've sure picked a tough one to explain but I'll do my best. I see this broken down into your two questions.

simsimsalabim:
    have customer names appear with addresses in Google Maps,

The answer to this could be as easy a marking a checkbox for your preferences. In Method follow the steps below.

QuickBooks Desktop users:

1. Field Services Center >>> Dashboard >>> Settings and Preferences...
    2. Under the Mapping section check the box 'Include first address line when plotting addresses?'

QuickBooks Online users:

1. Scheduling & Invoicing >>> Dashboard >>> Settings and Preferences…
    2. Under the Mapping section check the box 'Include first address line when plotting addresses?'

simsimsalabim:
    have the order of the route list correspond the order in Google Maps?

It could be possible since there is an option on the map action that allows you to return the addresses in an optimal order (what you see with the maps). This would come back as an action result which you can look at using with subsequent actions. it may also require modifying the Route List template to use a new sort order. I have not tried this but that's how I would initially approach it. 

Need more help? Ask us about Method consulting services.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
    Toll Free: 1.888.925.6238 ext. 715
    Local and overseas: 416.847.0400 ext. 715
    Fax: 416.640.6027
    E-mail: valbon@method.me
  • 04-13-2012 3:31 PM In reply to

Val - you can count on me for difficult ones to explain.  I tried your fix and received the following error:

mapAddressError: Lynn Trichel,603 Las Lomas Drive,Westlake Hills,TX,78746 not found. Located Zip/Postal Code only.

If there is any uncertainty, it did not work.  It appears as though there is an issue processing the name field as it is not part of an address.

Thanks - George

• 04-14-2012 8:43 PM In reply to

Answer

This is the biggest hang up I have with fully migrating over. My current software allows me to optimize my routes and save route orders so that I don't have to optimize every day, only when side jobs come in.

is there any way to just map out the day so that instead of printing a map I can just print sorted work orders?

sorry, this question was asked already..(2)

but, I would like to know, if question 2 is possible can each day be saved so to avoid repetition?

• 04-16-2012 3:06 PM In reply to

Answer

@simsimsalabim

I entered a fake customer in my sample account with the same address details you provided. Sure enough I received the same message which was a fast and easy way to replicate this. Then, I took the same address (address portion only excluding the name) and pasted into Google Maps, the response I got was "Did you mean…"

I don't think it has anything to do with the name portion. Since this failed directly in Google Maps it would fail through Method as well.

The solution is easy…change "Westlake" to "West lake" and you should be go to go. Check it in Google Maps first just to be sure.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
  • 04-16-2012 3:11 PM In reply to

Answer

@ericpierson - welcome to our forums!

I believe this is possible but would require some customization. See my response in the thread above. I have not personally tried to customize this area of Method but that's how I would start to approach it.

Valbon Shabani
    Director of Education
    Method Integration Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)