Method Community

MethodAPISelect_DataSetV2 - retrieving large set

Last post 04-19-2012 2:00 PM by Method_David. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2012 2:25 PM

MethodAPISelect_DataSetV2 - retrieving large set

I am trying to retrieve a very large dataset from the system using the MethodAPISelect_DataSetV2. All of the tables I have tried work fine except for one. The query fails after about 60 seconds with an error from the far end web service about web.config needing additional parameter. The table in question is called "Activities." Even the built-in Export tool on the Method website fails.

I can programmatically segment the query into month/year ranges in the strWhereClause, but I would rather perform the select with LIMIT and OFFSET for ranges. Can this be done?

• 04-18-2012 3:17 PM In reply to

Re: MethodAPISelect_DataSetV2 - retrieving large set

Hi sbartgis,

Sounds like you hit the webservice timeout unfortunately.

Our databackend is sqlserver both and Limit and Offset do not exist in sqlserver. The closest you have is Row_Number in conjunction with a common table expression, but that functionality is not supported by the API and there are no plans to include it in the near future.

Dave

• 04-18-2012 3:44 PM In reply to

Understandable.

Knowing that it is SQL Server helps because now I am able to say "TOP 1000" in the fieldQuery and choose a column to order by I can now range the requests by something other than date - which I don't like.

I suppose since you didn't offer any alternatives that there is no way to get an entire table in one shot. You may want to update the error message in the online Export tool.

• 04-19-2012 2:00 PM In reply to

Answer

sbartgis,

Is this happening on the version of the api that will be released on may 1st (available at https://www.methodintegration.com/MethodAPItest/Service.asmx)  There have been several speed improvements made there.

If it still times out can you please elaborate on the parameters you are passing into the where, groupby, having, and order by parameters so I can attempt to reproduce this?

Dave

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)